Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do most of you hook up your oil pressure gauge..??.....Do you remove the old oil sending unit and attach the hose directly..?? or do you get the T fitting so you keep the sending unit installed and have both the Gauge and the dash lights ??? ....Thanks..........

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
You can do it either way. If you have a Mechanical gauge I would not use the Plastic line. I would get a brass line.

The plastic line wear through with the flex of the engine. Which causes a major mess when they BLOW.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The plastic line wear through with the flex of the engine. Which causes a major mess when they BLOW.
Bryan
Plastic lines suck, I had a brand new one blow out the tubing wall on its first run, I made a mess and a pretty awesome smoke cloud on the highway.

I suggest running a t fitting so you can still use your oil pressure dash light, the mechanical/electric pressure guages are worthless unless your looking at them alot, when those oil pressure lights pop on its pretty noticeable.
But you can just run it straight in.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUN-CP7556&N=700+115&autoview=sku

If you can afford it I recomend the electronic oil pressure guages, they wont have the line/hose leak problems like a mechanical one.
-DD

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info....What I'm going to do is break the cam in on the setup I bought.....The gauge's are ready....The plastic oil line has been run...The volt gauge is working...The tach is working..( as far as I can tell )..The needle goes all the way over to 8000, then back to 0 when I turn the key.. The water temp has been installed in the intake...The only thing not wired are the lights...I'm ready to break in the cam tomorrow...If anyone has anything to say...now's a good time to tell me.....I want this thing ready for the road.....Again...thanks.................Randy...

·
Registered
242 Posts

add a bottle of gm oil additive EOS and use regular oil not synthetic..
you are gonna change it anyway after break in, i add eos every oil change in my 388 in my malibu and i beat on it hard... i went to a different cam and the lifters looked brand new when i changed the set up
it had 10k on the engine and like i said i am not easy on her
after the break in i used cheveron synthetic delo400 5w40
sams club 18.99 for 4 gallons.. great oil
good luck
craig
p.s.also i run an electric oil pressure gauge and the idiot light

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
add a bottle of gm oil additive EOS and use regular oil not synthetic..
you are gonna change it anyway after break in, i add eos every oil change in my 388 in my malibu and i beat on it hard... i went to a different cam and the lifters looked brand new when i changed the set up
it had 10k on the engine and like i said i am not easy on her
after the break in i used cheveron synthetic delo400 5w40
sams club 18.99 for 4 gallons.. great oil
good luck
craig
p.s.also i run an electric oil pressure gauge and the idiot light
Thanks for the heads up.....I wanted to get the break in over with then I'll change the oil pressure lines...And do the other little things that need to get done........Thanks..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Most people dont know that the new "EOS" is not nearly as good as the old EOS was. Run rotella, delo 400 or delvac plus a bottle of comp cams break in additive. After break in is done change the oil and filter and just run one of the 3 oils listed above.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You can do it either way. If you have a Mechanical gauge I would not use the Plastic line. I would get a brass line.

If the plastic line is wearing through due to engine vibrations, that's an installation error. A copper line has the potential to fatigue and crack if not installed properly. Half dozen of one, six of another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts