Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to find a fitting to connect an analog oil pressure gauge and electrical oil pressure light at the same source on my BBC. I need a single inlet/dual outlet fitting with the correct or adaptable thread configuration.

Can anyone give me info on where to get the part(s) I need?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
I have both an oil pressure light and analog oil pressure gauge hooked up to the same source at an oil pressure port on the "china wall" behind the intake manifold on my small block Chevy. This is where the oil "light" switch was original installed.

I installed a 1/8" NPT Street Tee into the engine's oil pressure port and hooked the Light Switch into one open port in the tee and the fitting for the oil pressure line into the other open port on the tee.

NOTE: If you do not have enough clearance between your intake manifold and a Street Tee, you can install a 1/8" NPT 1" to 1 1/2" long pipe nipple and an 1/8" NPT Tee.

All of these tees and nipples are available at most auto parts and hardware stores.
Street Tee
https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-Fitting-Barstock-Street/dp/B006PKKXM4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_60_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z30NRMF8G32CZD1WR708
Tee and Nipple
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-FIP-Lead-Free-Brass-Pipe-Tee-802129/300096125
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-x-1-1-2-in-MIP-Lead-Free-Brass-Pipe-Nipple-802469/207176630?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-300096125-_-207176630-_-N

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve installed the same setup on my small block. Kind of forgot about it, thank you for responding. The big block takes oil pressure from just above the oil filter so I should be able to come up with something similar.
I have only installed the mechanical gauge connection but I intend to get the warning light connected as well. In fact I just started my 454 for the first time yesterday and my oil pressure gauge didn’t register. It was fine on the dyno so I suspect the gauge is faulty but I won’t be starting it again until I can confirm that oil is flowing. Freaked me out a little.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
I have only installed the mechanical gauge connection but I intend to get the warning light connected as well.
I strongly believe that having both an oil pressure gauge and a low oil pressure warning light is a very smart way to go. It's nice to know what your oil pressure is... but I don't continuously monitor the oil pressure gauge while I am driving.
If I was to loose oil pressure while driving, the warning light would instantly alert me to this issue.

What type of oil pressure line did you run from the engine port to the gauge?... Nylon/plastic?... Copper?... Stainless Steel?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put in a copper line. I have to make a closer check for kinks but I suspect (hope) that the gauge might be the problem. It was in the car for a few years, sat for a couple of years out of the car and now back in. I have an identical gauge in another car so I’m thinking I’ll remove them and swap the questionable gauge into where the other one is working to test it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info on the fitting. I picked one up locally and installed the dual setup today. Removed and replaced the works.
My zero reading on my oil pressure gauge turned out to be caused by a plug installed in the fitting on the block, probably by the dyno operator. I installed the gauge oil line and fittings right over top of it, not aware that it was in there. That was a little excitement I could have done without!
Took her for her first spin around the block, couldn’t wipe the smile off my face!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts