Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a way to stop an Oil Pan stud form leaking? I have the good one peace gasket on but one stud keep leaking oil from it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Don't know if it is your problem but I could never get anything with a cork gasket to seal until I stopped over tightening things.

My new favorite sealer for head bolts is loctite 567 but if you can remove the stud easy enough you might want to try adding some silicone based sealer on it.

·
6,407 Posts
You could put a Harley Davidson(the older Harleys) stcker on the car.

Remove the stud and spray some cleaner up into the threaded hole and stud. Use loctite blue rtv on the threads of the stud and screw it in. Apply a little more rtv around the oil pan hole/stud location. Not too much. Just enough to have a small amount come out from the washer/nut assembly.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could put a Harley Davidson(the older Harleys) stcker on the car.

Remove the stud and spray some cleaner up into the threaded hole and stud. Use loctite blue rtv on the threads of the stud and screw it in. Apply a little more rtv around the oil pan hole/stud location. Not too much. Just enough to have a small amount come out from the washer/nut assembly.
That is what I am doing. One at a time. Putting Screws in would be a real pain on this pan.

Thanks Guys!!! Not happy with this pan.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Is it the second stud from the rear on either side your having trouble with?I had this with my Kevco pan and a FelPro one piece gasket.I changed to a multi piece Mr Gasket fiber type gasket with more sealer that I would normally use.The Right Stuff from Permatex works really well.I have had my pan off 3 times now and think I am finally leak free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts