Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my 72 that recently returned from "paint prison".
Photos were taken with my cell phone so please excuse the quality. As you can see I've still got body trims to put on. But, today I just had to take her for a spin around the neighborhood. It ran great, except for a pretty bad oil leak from the front of the pan below the timing cover. The oil would stream from the rubber "tit" that protrudes thru the pan (see pic). Blowing back on the motor and headers. It's a one piece gasket. Any ideas why this would leak just at this protrusion ? Anyone ever encounter this and if so how did you fix it? :)

Thanks
Skip

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Not sure I can help with the oil leak, (although it sounds like a bolt should be in there, or you have some serious crankcase pressure!). However, I love the color of your Nova, that is really cool!
M

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I think there are two different one piece gaskets for the original small block, one being a shallower lip on the fronf of the pan and one for a deeper lip on the pan. Could you possibly have a shallow lip gasket on a deep lip pan. Just a thought, it might not be the problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHA!.......cute guys! Anywho, I spoke with a local mechanic this morning who said the pan will have to come off and be resealed (dammit!). Just my luck, new big block and paint job and this has to happen :( .

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the paint Yenko Deuce :)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Nova72 said:
HAHA!.......cute guys! Anywho, I spoke with a local mechanic this morning who said the pan will have to come off and be resealed (dammit!). Just my luck, new big block and paint job and this has to happen :( .

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the paint Yenko Deuce :)
ahhh...from the pics you had posted I thought it was a BB car....I'm not sure if the BB motors did the change in the front seal like the SB motors did....does anyone know if this happened? BTW what a sharp looking car you have love the color....if you take your time and are careful you can remove the pan with the motor in the car and keep the scratches to a bare min. good luck:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 69NovaSS, I may try the "motor in the car" trick. One trip around the neighborhood is not enough enjoyment before having to do this major wrenching :eek:

Skip

·
Registered
120 Posts
To clear a couple of things up, there are actually 3 protrusions from the oil pan gasket that fit into the timing chain cover. This keeps the gasket from moving. The main one (the one in your pic) is not for a bolt. You can seal the front of the gasket area but you should remove the timing chain cover as well as lower the oil pan. It is a pain in the arse but is better than losing oil!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yes, with the motor running you can actually see the oil trickeling from around the rubber and streaming down to the back of the oil pan. The more rpm's you apply the worse it leaks.

Skip

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks 68chevyII! I should get my digital camera back from my son tommorrow (if I'm lucky :rolleyes: ) and I'll post some better pics.
My side marker lights and parking light lenses are due in tommorrow from classic industries. I've still got the interior to do. At least the paint, drivetrain and motor (except for this darn leak!) are complete :) .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here ya go, from under the cowl hood to the tailights :
468ci, cast iron closed chambered GM heads with 2.19/1.88 valves, 10.2:1 compression , RPM performer intake, 850 dbl pumper, Comp 286H hyd. cam, 1 7/8" super comp headers, 3" exhaust with Borla mufflers, HEI ignition, TH350/2800 stall, 8.5 rearend with eaton posi / 3:42 gears and subframe connectors. I also installed new disc brake system on the front and new drum brakes on the rear. Gas tank, lines and sendining unit are also new. All frontend components, body bushings and Grommets have been replaced. Yeah, I'm near broke and one stink'in oil leak is holding up the whole show (LOL-to keep from cry'in :rolleyes: )

Skip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts