Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just called me he has a 66 NOVA with 250 INLINE 6/GLIDE CAR. He says when he gets off the highway at a light the oil light will flicker from time to time??? Car does have noisey lifters(normal for 100,000 mile car) Anyone had this happen to them??? Any help I can lend him would be great.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
At 100k miles it's time for a rebuild!

bearings are warn, tolerances are loose. Oil pressure is down!

AL

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
50 weight oil

The car runs cool doesnt over heat, he just put in 50 weight oil

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If he is runnung 50wt oil he is just trying to fool himself into thinking he does not have a worn out engine. It is shot if it wont hold enough pressure to keep the oil light off.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Has he checked his oil level? If it's full, he better put an oil pressure gauge on it asap to verify if it's a pressure or sender problem.
It's probably worn out and adding 50 weight will hasten his engine's demise.

·
Registered
932 Posts
my 56 has 160mile on the 250, i dont have an oil light problem it just fouels plugs every 200hours....................tho its a grain truck

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the engine is not making knocking sounds or using/burning oil try putting in a oil pressure sensor that is a few pounds less than what he has. i.e. has a 10-12 lb sensor, find a 5-7 lb sensor. Also you can try turning up the idle speed just a bit.
Dump the 50 weight asap. He has no oil moving when cold. 10-40 should be fine.

Or..... just realize it's an old engine and after a high speed run, the oil light flickers a bit.

Jim

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car is in ARIZONA

Still think he needs to dump 50 weight oil?? He wants to drive it to IOWA so I can transplant a LS1 in it for he. I figured let it warm up and once on the highway she should be good enough to get her here???

·
Registered
387 Posts
My buddy just called me he has a 66 NOVA with 250 INLINE 6/GLIDE CAR. He says when he gets off the highway at a light the oil light will flicker from time to time??? Car does have noisey lifters(normal for 100,000 mile car) Anyone had this happen to them??? Any help I can lend him would be great.
Get rid of the light and install a gauge. You do remember what they used to call these lights right?:yes::

Larry at Papas Nova

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Typically

Still think he needs to dump 50 weight oil?? He wants to drive it to IOWA so I can transplant a LS1 in it for he. I figured let it warm up and once on the highway she should be good enough to get her here???
Oil pressure is generated through the lower end, if there are no knocks, id say its ok to drive, they gave you good advice, go buy a 15 dollar gauge, and hook it up to be sure, but if its low at idle, the mains have a lot of clearance, not a biggie in the short run.

I got a STEAL on a 73 Vette guy said it had no oil pressure, I bought a 15 dollar gauge, and hooked it up, had plenty, 3500 bucks for a 73 stingray, and drove it home, so always helps to check just in case....

Steve

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Wish me luck I am flying into LA next thurs and will be driving this baby home. Just sent out the tool kit with a gaguge as well. Staying in la till late sat then off to vegas for the night. After a night of gambling then it is off to Denver to see some family. I am sure it will make it but just like to get some advise as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts