Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for dinner. When I got into the dorm parking lot afterwards, my oil light came on. After saying some choice words then finishing my dinner I found that there was no oil in there! I could see oil on my (black, not orange or white:rolleyes:)Bosch filter. All my oil apparently leaked out there.

So my question is, can not oiling the oil filter seal cause this? I remember forgetting to oil the filter seal when I changed my oil a couple hundred miles ago. I do remember checking for leaks after the change and a little while afterwards. Yesterday my oil level was where it had always been. Today this happened? wtf?

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like maybe you forgot to remove the seal from the old filter before you installed the new one. Check to see if there is one stuck to the block from the previous filter
That is what I though. It was all clean on the block too. I thought I would find some burnt seal or something but both the old filter and the block surface were flawless.:confused:

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you over tighten this one? That will do it sometimes. Not oiling the seal will not cause it to leak. Thats usually done to keep it from sticking to the block upon removal.
It was tight. I had to clean the old (Bosch) filter and my hand very well to get the filter off. The new (K+N) filter I just finished putting is on the verge of being too tight, just to be safe. Thankfully the K+N filter have a 1" socket fitting on the bottom for easy removal in case this happens again.:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Most filters are tightened as follows: Seal contacts the block + 3/4 to 1 turn.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The filter was installed and tightened correctly.
"The new (K+N) filter I just finished putting is on the verge of being too tight, just to be safe"

How did you install the filter? I usually do mine by hand and that's good enough. Any idea where the 5 quarts of oil are that were in the motor? In a puddle at the dorm or restaurant or all over the highway?

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"The new (K+N) filter I just finished putting is on the verge of being too tight, just to be safe"

How did you install the filter? I usually do mine by hand and that's good enough. Any idea where the 5 quarts of oil are that were in the motor? In a puddle at the dorm or restaurant or all over the highway?
Put it on by hand.:yes: don't like putting oil filters on with ANY tools.:) As for the oil that was in there, my entire exhaust system is now covered with oil. I did not see any puddles of oil anywhere in the parking lot which leads me to assume it leaked from the time I left whataburger to the time I got home. I will go look on the roads I used tomorrow. I have an idea where it may have started.

I hope this doesn't happen again. I have to make a 550 mile trek home in May:(. I HAVE to renew my NM license or else I have to get a safety inspection on my car.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Look at the oil pressure fittings for any gauges/idiot lights. If they crack or come loose they will make a mess in a hurry.:yes:

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look at the oil pressure fittings for any gauges/idiot lights. If they crack or come loose they will make a mess in a hurry.:yes:
Even though it leaked from the filter, I will check all fittings. I will also install my oil pressure gauge someday.

Are you sure it's the right filter? Some dope may have opened a few boxes at the store, and put the wrong filter into the right box. Spend the $3 and replace it.
I bought an expensive filter to replace the old one. $13.50:eek: What I don't get is it being fine until now, but I will be comparing gaskets from now on.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Even though it leaked from the filter, I will check all fittings. I will also install my oil pressure gauge someday.

I bought an expensive filter to replace the old one. $13.50:eek: What I don't get is it being fine until now, but I will be comparing gaskets from now on.
How did it fail?

Did it push the o-ring out?

Try getting one of the cheap little $5 oil pressure gauges from the tractor/farm implement supply and hook it up so you can at least make sure the oil pump's pressure relief/bypass piston isn't hung. If it is you'll be pushing some ridiculous pressure out!!:yes:

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did it fail?

Did it push the o-ring out?

Try getting one of the cheap little $5 oil pressure gauges from the tractor/farm implement supply and hook it up so you can at least make sure the oil pump's pressure relief/bypass piston isn't hung. If it is you'll be pushing some ridiculous pressure out!!:yes:
That is interesting! I need to get that dome fast!

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
25psi at idle, around 35psi with the choke engaged. Highest it got on my little cruise was 60psi, but I will be watching it carefully.:yes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
In my years working at repair shops and tune up shops I've seen and done quite a few oil changes and have seen the oil push thru the rubber gasket between the gasket and the filter. You take the filter off and the gasket is still in place. Usually it pops it out of place, its very noticable.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
60 psi should be fine. On the dyno we've run as much as 80-90 psi @7,000 and never popped an oil filter.
Cool. I am still wondering what happened, but I have some ideas. I will still be watching it, as well as putting some load on the motor and seeing what it does.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Are you sure someone you may not get along with didn't loosen the filter a little for you. That happened to a co-worker of mine but he noticed it as soon as he backed out of his parking space and it did no damage to the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Are you sure someone you may not get along with didn't loosen the filter a little for you. That happened to a co-worker of mine but he noticed it as soon as he backed out of his parking space and it did no damage to the engine.
I hate when people mess with other peoples cars. When I read what you wrote, I immediately thought of highschool when a buddy of mine needed to change his oil pan in auto shop. He took the motor out to clean the engine bay up in his 65 Chevelle and put the motor on the stand. He had the oil pan loose and decided to wait till the next day to change it over. Well some real POS loosened up all of his main caps and he didnt know it. Hence to say the motor started and lasted all of 5 minutes. Another buddy of mine had a really nice 78 T/A with a 406 SBC that ran extremely good. Well he had his car in auto shop and was doing a plug change. Well when his back was turned, someone poured a gallon of paint thinner in his oil. His motor barely got him home before it locked up. Glad my dad had a garage with all of the tools I needed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts