Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with an oil leak at the back of the motor. Oil is pooling up on the back of the block. At first I thought it was coming from the take off where my pressure guage is, but i eliminated that. I now think it is the corner of my intake on the drivers side. If your intake is leaking will it leak that much oil? It seems to be the corner where the head and the intake meet at the valley. I used RTV instead of the valley gaskets. I'm stummped, any pointers would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I use the silicone also. You must be careful that you don't push the silicone off the rear of the block when placing the intake in position. I try to set the intake straight down with little or no moving it once it is in place. HTH Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dist gasket and valve cover gaskets are new and don't seem to be leaking. So an intake leaking could leak that much? It's seems like a lot. Thanks for the input fellas, I'm going to pull my intake and try again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try using The Right Stuff next time. It works much better than rtv. You can build a taller bead than with rtv, it won't slip nearly as bad as rtv, and there is no cure time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Try using The Right Stuff next time. It works much better than rtv. You can build a taller bead than with rtv, it won't slip nearly as bad as rtv, and there is no cure time.
What is the right stuff? is that a name brand?

Oh, I see. Permatex the right stuff. So which is better, ultra copper or the right stuff?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a oil leak on my car and i found it to be my driver side valve cover at the rear corner it was hard to find not much space back there.it was leaking between the valve cover and the gasket .what kind of valve covers do you have ?some dont seal good.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You'll get hundreds of opinions on that topic. Its just whatever you prefer. Either one will get it done.
Absolutely.:yes: I use Permatex Ultra Black on the end seals and intake bolt threads.

Yes, the back of the intake WILL leak that bad..:yes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep

Yeah I pulled my intake last night and found a spot on the back valley where the rtv hadn't cured it was gooey i think it mixed w some assembly fluid during the build, I'll make sure it's cleaner next time and try again. I have proform valve covers. I know my cover gaskets suck I need to get some rubber ones. mineare cork and we've pulled them off and put them on a thousand times.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
When you install the intake, be sure to realllllllyyy dry off the front/rear surfaces of the block with brakeklean or the like. If there's any oil on those at all, the RTV will slip right off when the manifold squeezes down. I also do not torque the thing down until waiting for the sealants to cure a bit. That way, the sealant acts more like a gasket instead of a glue.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
check the distributor gasket cause had the same problem...i had a puddle of oil on top of my bellhousing and changed the gasket and it was gone good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts