Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course it all starts when I'm planning on going to the track for some racing! I had a tiny leak from where the distributor meets the intake, i sealed that up and now oil is coming out of my dipstick tube. I tried a new tube and stick (just a generic pep boys one) and the oil is coming out of the tube where the dipstick goes in. The dipstick feels like it seals pretty well when i slide it in. I tired pulling the dipstick out with the engine running and oil shot out at first then just slightly sprinkled/flowed out over the tube. What can I do about the dipstick? Oil pressure hasn't changed, about 45 psi on start up and about 20 psi warmed up and idling. What would make it suddenly start coming out of the dipstick?

Another leak I noticed was a pool of oil in the crankshaft pulley. It looks like it is coming between the bolt and washer that holds the center of the pulley to the Harmonic Balancer. Only logical place I see that coming from is the timing cover crank seal. But I would think the oil would drip down from the cover. Inside the pulley is a long way to go and through a pressed on surface.

Help!
Paul

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
It sounds like the pcv valve is plugged allowing pressure to build up in the crankcase and it is pushing out wherever it can. If the crankcase is properly vented there should be no oil being pushed out of the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I second what wskaiser said. If the PCV is working then I would look closely at the back corner of the intake where the cylinder head, block and manifold meet. I have a truck in my shop that is leaking from there and the oil is following the gap between the head and the deck of the block perfectly. Then it runs down the side of the block and collects around the dip stick tube.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just a thought but back when I had a 66 impala I made the mistake of buying a pair of valve covers that did not have a breather hole from some late 50's SBC. Put them on and had a real mess. I guess on the older engines were the oil fill went through the intake manifold they put the breather on top of that so no holes were put in the valve covers. This is just a thought, but a pair of those older valve covers are hard to find. If you lucked out on a pair it could be your problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bet its the pcv, I just replaced the old grommets with baffled grommets during the weekend. The new baffled grommets are probably restricting the pcv. I'll check it out!
Thanks
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to make sure your are not over-full in the crankcase. If you replaced the dipstick, it may not register properly for your engine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it worked, It started raining like crazy today so I havent been able to get a good look, but there isnt a smoke cloud when I turn the car off anymore!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts