Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a bad oil leak i think its from the rear main seal can anyone tell me step by step how to change it or other places that it may be leaking from I need to get it stoped so i can pass tech

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
maybe

if it is that. it is easy to change. if you have done it before. it is time consuming though. as far as step by step directions.

2 piece seal
a:disconnect battery
b:safely jack up vehicle
c:drain oil
d:remove starter
e:remove oil filter
f:remove oil pan
g:remove oil pump
h:remove rear main bearing cap
i:drive out or roll out upper seal
j:remove lower seal from rear main bearing cap
k:lightly oil new upper seal reinstall similar as removed old seal ensuring seal lip faces front of engine
l:install new lower seal into rear main bearing cap ensure seal lip is facing front of engine
m:with solvent clean seal end mating surfaces
n:apply lite "RTV" silicone to seal mating surfaces
o:reinstall main bearing cap and torque to specs to 105 ft/lbs
p:clean debris or gunk from oil pump reinstall to bearing cap ensuring oil pump drive shaft is engaged w distibutor drive gear do not force and torque to 65 ft/lbs
q:clean oil pan and block of old gasket material and wipe down w solvent and groove of timing cover apply "RTV" to four corners of new oil pan gasket make sure you use correct front and rear seals for oil pan to rear main bearing cap and oil pan to timing cover most kits come with several different ones for different application
r:install oil pan tighten evenly to 120 inch/lbs small bolts and 30 ft/lbs large bolts
s: DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN OIL PAN YOU WILL SQUEEZE OUT GASKET AND IT WILL BE RUINED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO REPLACE IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!
t:ALLOW "RTV" TO DRY reinstall starter and new oil filter
u: pour in new oil
v:start engine and check for leaks
w:go do burn outs

this is the best description i can give you if anyone else see's any errors please make a note

p.s. a service manual will save you plenty of heart ache in the future and buy different brands some have more info then others and vice versa

good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have always satgered my 2 piece seals in stead of lining them up with the block endge less chance for a leak were the upper and lowere meet but other than that you coverd it all from what i can see

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot 75nova.I have not done one before but i have done other work on a motor like cam swaps and heads but never need to change the rear main seal yet this car out of the 5 i have is the only one that leaks anything at all and i know tach will not pass it and i dont want to hurt the motor.do you think this is someone one guy could do by him self in a couple hours on weeknight?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
maybe

the last time i did one like this was 13yrs ago i took my time and wasnt in a rush but i guess if you hold your tongue just right you could get do it in a timely manner i dont know possibly 3-5hrs

just make sure you dont bite your tongue off if you get in a bind:D

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Step 1 is to remove the motor from car; the oil pan can not be removed with it bolted to the mounts and it is very difficult even with it lifted up. Another cause of leaks in the rear main area is the rear main bearing cap. Place a small amount of silicone on the block along the edge where the cap fits so oil can not seep through the space.

Have you checked the oil galley plugs and cam plug for leaking?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Step 1 is to remove the motor from car; the oil pan can not be removed with it bolted to the mounts and it is very difficult even with it lifted up. Another cause of leaks in the rear main area is the rear main bearing cap. Place a small amount of silicone on the block along the edge where the cap fits so oil can not seep through the space.

Have you checked the oil galley plugs and cam plug for leaking?
no i have not mainy becuz i dont know where they are

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Here is a photo of the oil galley's and cam hole. This is the front of the motor but the back looks similiar. The flywheel/flexplate will need removed to check.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the pic i really like this stie you guys know your **** and are very willing to help there is no dust shild on the tranny so i looked up in there and i dont see oil on the flexplate or back side of the block so im starting to think its some other then the rear main im going to cheak the oil pan drain plug and oilfilter and oil line to the gauges

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks ill look there im pertty sure ill not be able to get the leaks fixxed by this weekend so it dont look like ill be racing

·
Registered
667 Posts
thanks for the pic i really like this stie you guys know your **** and are very willing to help there is no dust shild on the tranny so i looked up in there and i dont see oil on the flexplate or back side of the block so im starting to think its some other then the rear main im going to cheak the oil pan drain plug and oilfilter and oil line to the gauges
Make sure you diagnose it right. It would suck to pull the engine and find out it was the oil sender. Oil leak at the back of the engine is the manifold, valve covers or oil sender more often than it's the rear main or the oil pan. Clean it up real well and try to see where it's coming from before you spend the time or money on repairs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its not coming out when its running its coming out whne its seting and im talking liek its lost a qt in a week on my floor and its pissing me off

1 - 17 of 17 Posts