Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
read some other threads on this topic and can't seem to find one addressing my leak.

i seem to have oil blowing out on the passenger side front of the engine block near the fuel pump. i immediately figured it was one of the bolt holes that goes into the crankcase in that area but as you can see in the pictures i already blocked the upper hole. i thought the lower hole did not go into the crankcase. i will try to block the lower hole to see if this helps.

you can see the spray onto the lower radiator hose in the first picture. this idndicates to me that its crank case pressure blowing the oil out.

this problem occured once i fixed my pedal so that i can get WOT with the car. before i was getting about half throttle out of the pedal and the tranny was shifting itself at 4800 rpm. now with full throttle the motor is seeing 6000 rpm+.

i took out the breather on the passenger side since i could not stop it from spraying oil out and coating the drivers side of the engine compartment and installed a second pcv valve. this setup is shown in the second picture. im not sure if this is the right thing to do but it is keeping the valve covers clean.

the only other thing that i could see being the problem would be if the fuel pump gasket, timing cover gasket, or oil pan gasket started to leak in this area. the leak is coming out under pressure but when i open the throttle up by hand while im under the hood i cant see anything leak.

im gonna wipe it all down and block the lower hole and see what happens. this motor has always leaked like a civ and has low oil pressure but it was basically a freebie and has given me three years of driving and a handful of track passes so i cant complain. now that its seeing the high rpm it never did before of course things are going to fail. just wondering if anyone knows of any other phenomenon that could be occuring here that i could remedy.

thanks
Ian

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Is there a baffle in the valve cover where the pcv valve is ?? and maybe you have a small leak in the oil pan gasket near the front seal.. After you clean it up..have someone watch it if you need to..

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
The bottom hole on my block went into the crankcase. Most don't from what I have read but mine did.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wasnt the bottom hole. both are blocked now and same problem exists. its wet in the same spot and it sprayed the lower radiator hose again. im thinking its the seal right where the oil pan and timing cover meet.

the valve covers are not baffled but the baffled covers i had before gave me the same problem with the breather. the two pcv valves with a T seem to be working. i have an evacuation kit but i didnt want to waste it by welding the lower parts into the junk headers i have.

i might be able to clean the area around where its leaking and cheat with some extra silicone but i dont think im going to bother. the motor is most likely coming out this week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts