Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running a moroso racing filter on the street in my 600hp 434 small block. its getting to be a pain with constantly changing the filter/oil because they dont seem to last long running on the street.
Any good filter suggestion for performance street use. Ill save the moroso race filters for the track.
Thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
constantly changing the filter/oil because they dont seem to last long running on the street.
What doesn't last? And what would street driving have to do with oil & filters? I run K&N filters on my 615 h.p. 410", and it works just the same no matter where it's driven--Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Is the oil getting too much fuel contamination?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yea how long does a filter last anyways? In my '06 silverado I run Mobil 1 synthetic oil and I change oil and filter every 10k miles, with 62k and counting I have no issues.

Conversely I used to run the Fram HP4 and Kendall 20/50 in my 406 and I was racing the car and driving it on the street every weekend so I would change oil and filter about every 10 passes or once a month. I would cut the filters open and find nothing wrong. The oil did have a strong fuel smell so I figured it was getting contaminated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i am using a racing oil filter on the street. After about 200 miles of street driving the oil pressure starts to drop, i change the oil and filter and it goes right back up to 65psi at idle. Im running 93 octane gas, and the oil isnt fuel diluted.
Matt

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
What doesn't last? And what would street driving have to do with oil & filters? I run K&N filters on my 615 h.p. 410", and it works just the same no matter where it's driven--Am I missing something here?
i was wondering the same thing..... so whats the oil pressure when u say it drops....??? have u cut the filter open to even see if there is a problem...??? just wondering..

LIL JOHN

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Yeah thats alot of oil pressure. How high does it get in the upper RPM range? HAd a buddy with a Pontiac 400 that would peg the oil gauge when cold. It would literally blow anything other than a race filter right off the block whe he reved it up. Never seen anything like it.

I'm running the same oil pressure as Bowtie0069 in my 400 useing a stock volume oil pump. That's all the pressure it needs.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
wow yea thats alot of oil pressure at idle. Is that cold or hot? My 406 ran 20 psi when hot and 60-65 hot at 8100. I had loose clearances and a 6qt kickout style pan for a chevy II and I used the Moroso racing pump for a small block(turned out to be a big block pump with a stock pressure spring)

I would say use the Wix Racing or the Fram HP4. With that much oil pressure I'd be worried about blowing a stock filter out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well its a high volume pump, not a high pressure version. maybe i am just over reacting, but i would rather be safe then sorry. When warm with new oil and filter it will idle at 1200rpm with 55-60psi. when i put some miles on the filter and oil it will drop down to 25psi at idle. when i bring rpms up to around 3000 the pressure will be around 60-65psi.
Maybe i am just over reacting?
Thanks
Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts