Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped a 327 into my 64. The block casting number is 3858174. The pics that should hopefully show up are of the filter mounting area. It is a Fram PH30 and spins on nice and easy however, it gets tight real fast and will not tighten anymore. Now looking at the filter mount area it has what look to be a few "step down" areas or mounting area that gets smaller. Not knowing which vehicle came with this casted block is that the correct filter? I tried looking up a 65 nova with a 327 but the PH30 is what the auto parts websites says I need. I would guess that is for the Nova 2 recessed oil filter mount? Right now I have a decent size oil leak around the filter.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
that block was prolly designed ta use the canister filter, not a spin on... ya need ta get the adapter that converts canister ta spin-on... then i'd think yer OK...

more experienced guys may have extra tips bein' it's a Nova.

there are some issues with clearance regarding Chevy II blocks VS non Chevy II blocks...

but i'm thinkin' it's a non spin on block...

maybe ???

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
no. it's a spin on type...

if ya have a few, lemme see if i can find mine in the shop and i'll snap ya a shot.

be a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
From what I can see in the picture I also think you have a canister style block. There is a groove in them the best I remembe; the newer style block has a flatter surface for the seal to seat against. The other filter style used a metal can that a filter slide into. The metal can had a bolt that went up through the middle with a gasket on it at the bottom.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys

I've been searching all over google. It spins onto that mount and seals against the block but apparently not enough. It's like it seeps in a few spots around the oil filter mounting face at the block.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I have the same block you do. Mine came with a canister filter and I used the adapter Johnny is talking about. Now I use a Fram PH5 filter on mine. My engine came out of a 65 Impala. Hope this helps

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
OK, here ya go... 1st shot is same as what you have... wait for confirmation, but the 2nd through 4th are what i believe ya need...

the separate units.

stuck together

hope i helped ;)

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Is the sealing area about 5/16 to 3/8 inch wide flat? It looks like the area has a groove in it. It should be completley flat.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, thanks

I get it now. Thanks a lot. I should be able to get one at Autozone or a Checkers or something right? Does the oil filter mount I have on now stay or is that removed?

Nova guy I don't think the sealing area is that large. I'll have to go pick one up. I'm about to bust though. First time the V8 has been cranked and it sounded awesome. Especially with the Sanderson shorties and no other exhaust yet.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
ya need ta get the original style filter adapter and then the kit adapter. one is wrecking yard, the other parts store.

the shot just below where it says separate units ??? the item on the left is the factory item, the one on right is the aftermarket part that comes in the kit from the parts store...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
unless someone here has a good used one... check yer local machine shops too... but they're kinda old... have ta find a shop who's been around a few years ta have OOOOLD stuff ;)

post a "wanted" ad in the classifieds, prolly come up with one.

that kit's prolly close ta bein' obsolete too... prolly NOT a stocking item, they'd prolly have ta order it.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
damn, just my luck

Thanks for all the help. I knew there would have to be a big "burp" with this swap sooner or later. There isn't a filter that works with what I have then.
Johnny, your first pic is the EXACT same cast design that I have, do you put a filter directly on there or maybe a relocation kit. I wouldn't mind using one of those.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
fer a wrecking yard, i bet they'd be all gone due to age and that the engines all prolly been 86'd... i bet a guy here at the site would have one though... post a wanted ad, ya might just get a pleasant surprise ;)

keep positive ;)

"yeah, i'm positive it's all screwed up" is NOT the positive i'm referring to ;)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If that is an original early Chevy II block, there are different filters listed if using a spin-on. I looked at Parts America's site.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Its been a few years since I worked in a GM parts department, but I remember that we stocked a spin on filter adapter.

Good place to start.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not to bring back old headaches.....

I've been running the car with the adaptor I got from summit. My pressure at idle is about 45PSI. It pegs at 60 beyond that. Is it possible I need to use some kind of spin on adaptor with the bypass? I swapped out the melling stock pressure/stock flow pump with a new one thinking maybe the guy that built the motor did something to the pump. No joy, it sits just as high as it has. I'm at my wits end trying to get the oil pressure down. Any ideas?

I think I found exactly what flyer was talking about and will be bidding on them on EBAY. The 2 parts are identical to the ones in his pics. My oil has also been EXCESSIVELY dirty looking after about 1000 miles. I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30. Its about as black as my other cars are at 3000 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts