Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an oil change on my 66 canso with a 194 6cyl. Should I fill the new filter with oil before installing or will it be alright to install dry?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
since the system is a bypass or passive system.. installing the filer dry is not detrimental... however any fluid will always take the path of least resistance..

now.. whether the oil chooses to twist and turn its way up the engine to feed the lifters, main and rod bearings first, as apposed to filling the huge void of an oil filter.... then making its way to the engine.......

the best route is to at least fill the filter as much oil as you can with out dumping oil all over the place when you go to install the filter...

ok?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my concern. The filter is mounted horizontally on the block and it would make one heck of a mess if the filter was full. I will add a bit to it before installing.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
535 Posts
i always fill a horizontal filter about half way. it isnt hard to install it without spilling oil. now vertical filters i fill all the way and make sure the oil has soaked into the pleats.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jobs done. I was able to fill about 1/2 maybe a little more and didn't spill a drop. Worried for nothin I guess.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts