Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This has been a very helpful and informative thread and has answered a number of questions I've had for a long time.

Thanks to WFO and the others for finding those WIX and NAPA numbers. I will be switching to them next oil change.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hi,

Well I cut a "new'" 35 apart today to look at it and I agree that it would appear that as John said "dirty" oil would equalize pressure, so I really cant say how a bypass works on this.

I called AC (again) and they say that even the later manufactured 35s had an internal bypass and the 1218 does as well. I asked him to fax me a copy of the tech info and he said it was basically double secret type internal only type stuff and wouldn't fax my anything. So I must say Im more confused now than earlier in the day (thanks John).

In all seriousness I would always want to be accurate in what I say, and I feel real shaky on this. Even though Delco still say it does. Im not sure.

I have tried to think of a practical way test a filter to see if it has the "bypass" capability but I cant think of an easy way to do it.

So I am still confused, as always just more so I guess.

On a side note I use Chev oil filters on all of my honing equipment and parts washers. I take the oil filter adapter and cut the threaded hub out and weld it into a drilled piece of steel. Drill one more hole in the plate and braze or weld a fitting in the top of threaded hub and its basically done. I weld a small angle to it to mount it. It makes for a real cheap filter system.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
That's the wix filter that I use... the black beauty as I call it. From time to time I take a brand new one and cut it apart just to see if they have changed anything. I always cut my old filter apart just to see what I can find. Nothing but love for the black beauty:D
Tg

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
That's the wix filter that I use... the black beauty as I call it. From time to time I take a brand new one and cut it apart just to see if they have changed anything. I always cut my old filter apart just to see what I can find. Nothing but love for the black beauty:D
Tg
That's good to know!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
This has been a very helpful and informative thread and has answered a number of questions I've had for a long time.

Thanks to WFO and the others for finding those WIX and NAPA numbers. I will be switching to them next oil change.
I agree. This should go in "Best of Tech" when everybody is done commenting.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
So I must say Im more confused now than earlier in the day (thanks John).
Glad I could help! :D

In all seriousness, I really can't see HOW it can bypass. I wonder if the tech is confusing the anti-drainback with a bypass. I HAVE seen PF35s (late ones) with anti-drainback valves. All PF1218s have 'em. If I had to guess, I bet this is what the tech is mistakenly calling a "bypass".

61 - 66 of 66 Posts