Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never installed one. Is it as simple as 2 bolts? washers needed? Is there a preferred orientation? Any gasket needed? I am figuring not, since my engine gasket kit doesn't have anything and also, the oil would only leak back into the filter area. thx.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
are you talking about this

no special tools required just bolt it up snug and tight :yes: this one has no bypass it is what i perfer to use in my builds i was showing you a picture to see if this is what your talkiing about :yes:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Are you asking about a adapter to replace a canister style filter? This one replaced the older style filter that went in a metal can. That style normally uses a Ford PH1 style filter. Or just the standard screw on oil filter adapter. The kind that most SBC and BBC engines came with. The canister style filter ended sometine in mid sixties. I think 65 was that last year.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No metal canister. I'm talking about the standard screw on type, similar to that Jeg's, but stock with the bypass and no O ring seals.

Like this.... this shows the bypass oriented towards the front of the motor. Just want to make sure that is the correct orientation.

http://www.cartechbooks.com/cartech//SA110/SA110_SB9_1_5.gif

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I snugged it up tight. Not sure if there is an exact torque spec but I got it real snug to the point of feeling that it did not want to go much further. Regarding the stock bypass, I lubed it with some oil and when I depress it with a screwdriver, it sometimes gets a bit cocked and does not return to normal closed position. I fear that it may get stuck in the open position. It doesn't seem that the design permits perfect vertical travel but allows it to go side to side a bit. Is this normal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts