Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
383 with hooker headers, and I have a drip at the front of the right collector at a rate of about 2 drops per second. Trouble is, I can't see how the oil is getting onto the header. The valve covers are dry and there is no visible track of oil running down any of the tubes. Nothing dropping from the back of the block, that's all nice & dry too. The underside of the oil & trans pans were damp from the last time I drove it - Labor Day weekend. I figure that's from being blown around while moving, but there wasn't the tel tale smoke from oil on the header then. No oil on the floor from the car sitting.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Top bolt hole on passenger side down low in front of fuel pump. Does it have a short 3/8" bolt in the hole with a little silicone on the threads?

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dry block

Thanks sbc1320, the block is dry. I'm running an electric fuel pump and block off plate. That's all dry.
I was down your way a few weeks ago. I kept looking for a hill.......

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Thanks sbc1320, the block is dry. I'm running an electric fuel pump and block off plate. That's all dry.
I was down your way a few weeks ago. I kept looking for a hill.......
OK, still have to plug the whole in front even if no mech. fuel pump is used.

Hills, you didn't see any of those tall ones in Houston.:D

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
back of the intake manifold/front of the intake, oil sending unit, head covers, oil pan gasket, in front of the fuel pump, I know you said you are running a block off plate but that doesn't mean the little 3/8 bolt is in there on the front of the engine. Should give you some places to look.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found It!

Turned out to be a connection for the trans cooling line. I ran hard line for the first 12" out of the trans, then changed to braided. A clamp failed, so now they are triple clamped. The problem with identifying it was I'm using "trick shift", which is blue, but when heated on the header, it took on a greenish tinge like the Brad Penn oil. Made it fun to find.
Thanks for your suggestions folks.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
oil drip

Hi, glad you found your leak. they can drive you nuts, as usual start in the front, and if that don't work, start in the back, if not start in the middle and work to both ends. just some dome humor. skinnydude

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

I love the bustin' chops and good humor. Thanks folks (because it's not pc to say guys)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts