Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dipstick pops out of the tube about an inch after most every run at the track (or anywhere else at that) I replaced the pcv valve and breather (one in each cover) a little while back and no better. Is this blow-by into the crankcase? Last compression check was around 170lbs give or take 10lbs on all cylinders, I don't know if that tells anything. I don't have a leak down tester.

P.S. It's a front sump pan and pressure is normal.

The short block was built in the late eighties but I just got around to putting it all together a couple of years ago. It probably has 3000 miles and 100 runs on it.

I'm also having problems getting the intake side of the drivers valve cover to seal. It puts a small puddle of oil over the intake and have not been able to get it to stop since I switched to centerbolts.:(

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I believe if you run a breather in the same valve cover as the PCV valve, you are defeating the PCV valve's function.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DriveWFO said:
I believe if you run a breather in the same valve cover as the PCV valve, you are defeating the PCV valve's function.
Sorry, should have been more clear.

Pcv in pass and a breather in drivers.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Repointer said:
I'm also having problems getting the intake side of the drivers valve cover to seal. It puts a small puddle of oil over the intake and have not been able to get it to stop since I switched to centerbolts.:(
Are you sure the oil is coming from the valve cover. I have seen a number of oil leaks that looked like they were coming from the valve cover but in reality it was coming up the two center bolts on the intake manifold. They tap into the lifter galley and will often leak if there is no sealant put on the threads when the intake is bolted down. It will usually cause a puddle around the bolts and will collect on the head and intake manifold mating area. back those two bolts out and put a little non hardening thread sealer on the threds and reinstall them and I bet your leak stops.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wskaiser said:
Are you sure the oil is coming from the valve cover. I have seen a number of oil leaks that looked like they were coming from the valve cover but in reality it was coming up the two center bolts on the intake manifold. They tap into the lifter galley and will often leak if there is no sealant put on the threads when the intake is bolted down. It will usually cause a puddle around the bolts and will collect on the head and intake manifold mating area. back those two bolts out and put a little non hardening thread sealer on the threds and reinstall them and I bet your leak stops.
You know, that makes sense. I did put new heads on at the same time this problem started and I would almost bet that valve cover gasket is sealing. I'll check in to it. Thanks for the tip.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts