Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if I should patch it, put a metal body filler in it or replace it. It looks worse than it is, ok it's pretty bad. I saw that RM has replaced one of these, just wondering if anyone else has? There are a few layers that need repair. I won't be a show car, well maybe some local stuff. It will mainly be a street/strip car. Don't want to hassle the VIN plate, or have any trouble w/law enforcement thinking it's been stolen. Oh what to do??? Sorry for the big pic's, but you have to see this. Oh and the back is probably just as bad.

Denis

·
3,876 Posts
The dash panel is repopped and is only about a $100. I would replace it as it will be much easier than trying to patch it. I don't think I would want to be drag racing and wondering if my windshield is going to pop out on the big end.

·
6,560 Posts
I had some similiar rot on my 74 in that area and ended up doing patches. The problem I found out on mine was up on the underside it looks like a couple of different panel adges that come together in that area and the factory put in some type of foam sealer or something up there that I think helped to hold moisture and help speed up the corrosion process.
I also poked around in other area's on mine with a sharp awl to see if anything else was thin and would need repair as on mine the rust was coming from the backside. After taking out the glass and removing all of the glass setting glues and junk it looked solid but it wasn't in a spot or two.

As far as the VIN, if you look how the dash pad sits it covers the depression behind it and the rivets to where if new rivets were installed you wouldn't be able to see it from the topside and probably with all the other stuff in the way on the underside it would be hard to view them that way. I know I have seen replacement rivets that have the star shaped heads on them and you could always re-rivet the old plate back on. If a person is really looking to see what's up with a car there are also other stamped numbers over on the other side of the firewall. Another option is to cut the metal around the VIN and then cut the new dash panel and weld the old one back in doing but welds. If you take your time and do it right it should be real hard to see the work.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts