Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
14,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At midnight, Canada officially became the largest legal marijuana market in the world. Yes, marijuana is now legal in Canada, although regulations differ from province to province. For all our U.S. friends, you're welcome to come up here and indulge, but don't try to take any home:).

Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
No shocker in CA, where it's been legal since last January. Ironically, as smog levels have improved and it's rare to smell the sweet smell of a poorly running '60's-'80's car struggling ahead on the freeway, it's much more common to get the pungent whiff of cannabis emissions from a car in front of you.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Even tho I'm not a user I support legalization so there's more time for the law to invest in more important things going on.
Then again,I'm from the Netherlands so basically grow up with it.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I read today there are 8 states in the US where Marijuana is legal......
Although this is correct, it is not federally legal in the USA.

It's way overdue to get rid of the stigma that has been associated with marijuana, so many people are ignorant to the benefits and what it actually does when it is consumed.

My only concern is the law has no way to truly measure the level of intoxication you're at like they can with alcohol. The best they can do right now is know if you have THC in your system, so there will be a lot of wasted court time.

·
6,549 Posts

It's way overdue to get rid of the stigma that has been associated with marijuana, so many people are ignorant to the benefits and what it actually does when it is consumed.

My only concern is the law has no way to truly measure the level of intoxication you're at like they can with alcohol. The best they can do right now is know if you have THC in your system, so there will be a lot of wasted court time.
They have the equipment that can measure intoxication but most police departments do not have the equipment or ability to use it. This should have been a prerequisite to the Oct. 17th date of legalization. Deaths by impaired drivers could result in lawsuits by surviving family members to the government or legalizing it without safeguards for the public. Plain stupid move IMO. The government is more interested in tax money and votes. Sorry for being political on this subject.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4413348/new-roadside-test-to-detect-marijuana-coming-to-canada/

·
Registered
81 Posts

I agree, and remember, police can still perform field sobriety tests just like they always have if they feel someone is impaired. Also, for decades we've been wasting a lot of court and police time enforcing laws which turn many otherwise decent, contributing members of society into criminals, when there are far more dangerous and destructive drugs/behaviors (some of which are legal) to focus on. I think if alcohol is legal you have no valid argument against mj.

Personally, if I had to pick, I'd rather be driving next to a guy thats stoned versus one who's drunk any day. Just my two cents

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Any drug impairment bad, period. And a cheap and easy field test for THC that could be reliably employed by law enforcement would be a lucrative invention for the patent holder. They even tried to nab an erratic driver in CA for DUI...and the impairment was due to excessive caffeine. At first one might not think that it could affect driving, but if you've ever seen someone with WAY too much caffeine in their system, it seems to affect their cognitive abilities. Case was dropped.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts