Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 389 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
ok, thank you. I will try that instead. Only way I ve ever seen it done was to cut an X with grinder in the heads and chisel off each quarter of the head n punch it clean out. But I ll give it a shot other way. I'm not one with a grinder yet, but I soon will be id imagine,lol. I think I'm gunna order a new rad support rather than try to re use/save this one. its got some rot I'm not sure I wanna spend time on. altho I ll keep it until new one fits in nicely. Lookn at a dynacorn replacement, For $165, I ll gamble
Guy from tci who was at the family reunion in NorCal this year sells nice radiator supports...I think they are aluminum...real nice!!! Send Novajoe a pm he can give you the info

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Guy from tci who was at the family reunion in NorCal this year sells nice radiator supports...I think they are aluminum...real nice!!! Send Novajoe a pm he can give you the info
Wow, really? I like the sound of that new and lightweight. I ll message him just as soon as I'm done reading your wagon thread update,lol.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but how does one search out a members name on here to pm him? I searched novajoe at the top function and a lot of threads with the word nova popped up:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Wow, really? I like the sound of that new and lightweight. I ll message him just as soon as I'm done reading your wagon thread update,lol.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but how does one search out a members name on here to pm him? I searched novajoe at the top function and a lot of threads with the word nova popped up:confused:
Go to community on the top of the page...click on it...click on members list....top right click on search members..type in Novajoe or send him an [email protected] or [email protected]'t remember which one

·
Registered
610 Posts
Your car is coming along great and your garage floor looks awesome.

I have a aluminum core support that I bought from Stokers and have been very happy with the quality. It really isn't that much lighter than the stamped steel piece but it is a nice clean piece without all the bumps, holes, cut outs of the original.

You mentioned a 335 tire which is what I used for mock-up on my own car but clearanced for a 355 hoping some high speed rated stuff would hit the market and it has. Kumho now has a V720ACR 355/ 19ZR35 that was released for the Viper ACR and is $200-300 less than any of the 335 BFG that everyone runs. Unfortunately, they don't list the overall height on their site and I fear it may be a tad tall for my set-up but may work for you. I have a call in to try and get an exact measurement.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Your car is coming along great and your garage floor looks awesome.

I have a aluminum core support that I bought from Stokers and have been very happy with the quality. It really isn't that much lighter than the stamped steel piece but it is a nice clean piece without all the bumps, holes, cut outs of the original.

You mentioned a 335 tire which is what I used for mock-up on my own car but clearanced for a 355 hoping some high speed rated stuff would hit the market and it has. Kumho now has a V720ACR 355/ 19ZR35 that was released for the Viper ACR and is $200-300 less than any of the 335 BFG that everyone runs. Unfortunately, they don't list the overall height on their site and I fear it may be a tad tall for my set-up but may work for you. I have a call in to try and get an exact measurement.
thanx, the garage floor was the dumbest best idea ive had. gets dirty so quick, but looks good when its clean. I have a soft shop broom and rugged mop n bucket.

Please post up some pics of your wheels and the core support. I'm running an 18" wheel, and 335/30/18 seems to be the tire I'm going for. the front(245/40/18) n rear are jus under 26" tall. should work.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I have to work this weekend, but I'm gathering up all my parts early next week to drop off for powder coating. After engine and trans are out, I'm gunna take down the rest of the front clip(any buyers?) and start cleaning up my firewall. Than I'm hopn to start the clip and sheetmetal install:turn:

On a sidenote, if any of you guys are thinking of ordering up A complete front kit from TCI or probably most other places, have them send you new bushings and the ball joints with the kit. It sux that they come pre assembled. The ball joints aren't a big deal to get out. But my buddy is gunna do his best to try n remove the new bushings without destroying them. I assumed most people would prefer this way for betterpainting and powder coating. I'm prolly going to have to order up a new [email protected]$134 from TCI directly.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Alittle more progress tonight. I cant wait til its time for reassembly of the fun stuff. Had a very tough go at it with the core support. but, its out!

Got something way cooler coming in Monday!!! Thanx for the heads up BATMAN. Your suggestion set me back about $400,lol. I was gunna order up a new typical reproduction core support. But nehhh1

Pretty much got it down to just the motor n trans ready to come out. they are lose and awaiting me to get some extra hands this weekend. I ve never removed and engine n tranny before. I have everything I need, jus don't wanna get injured, struggle, or hurt my firewall.

gonna be simple with all that stuff off...shes gonna slide right out!!gongrats on that core support....gonna look beautiful....go big or go home!!!you're going big....gonna have a sick car when your done!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Funny thing was, I emailed 3 people about the aluminum core support. And by lunch time today I didn't hear back. so I called Stokers directly and discovered they only had one 65' core support left. It was hanging on his wall and he d be willing to sell it. He hasn't had any luck finding a company in quite some time to stamp new ones. So he sayn this will be it for awhile he believes. Still has some 66-67s left for sale. I'm so glad I snagged one up for my build. This thing looks trick and should nicely fit the TCI clip.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
So I'm gathering together all my pieces for powder coating while I await my new aluminum core support to arrive on Monday. It to is getting powder coated to match every thing else. I'm having trouble choosing what to powder coat which color. I think I'm gunna satin black everything and accent the engine n its accessories. Kinda a PT factory look?!?! I dunno.

In the mean time I'm gunna do my best to refinish the firewall. I followed Toms thread n found it to be a worth while mod. I hope my turns out half as nice as his. nothn crazy, jus a basic sand,prep, prime, n repaint.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
P.S. this is my first engine n tranny pull. I felt like the man for a split immature second. I'm having a heck of year with those moments. My wife and I recently found out we are expecting our first child(due in april)...I'm so excited and scared. And we ve since found out we are having a BOY!!! Looks like my plans are all changing,lol. But not with the car. Its gunna get there alil at a time, with more slow moving pics and first timer questions

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
P.S. this is my first engine n tranny pull. I felt like the man for a split immature second. I'm having a heck of year with those moments. My wife and I recently found out we are expecting our first child(due in april)...I'm so excited and scared. And we ve since found out we are having a BOY!!! Looks like my plans are all changing,lol. But not with the car. Its gunna get there alil at a time, with more slow moving pics and first timer questions
You better hurry up....your life is gonna change completely when your kid comes......way to go on getting your engine removed!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanx to all! Yea, we are super excited. The nova build will continue. I need a baby on board sign now n one of those cool sparco baby seats for the back seat,lol

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Parts back from powder coater...it is go time...decided to have the firewall sandblasted($150) vs. sanding n grinding forever.

21 - 40 of 389 Posts