Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine needs a pusher type electric fan for a street rod project he's building. There is no room for a puller type fan. A friend of his owns a junkyard so he has plenty of access to parts but we are not sure of any cars that are originally equipped with a pusher type fan. Anyone know of any he should look for? Thanks !

·
Registered
885 Posts
Buddy of mine needs a pusher type electric fan for a street rod project he's building. There is no room for a puller type fan. A friend of his owns a junkyard so he has plenty of access to parts but we are not sure of any cars that are originally equipped with a pusher type fan. Anyone know of any he should look for? Thanks !
Not many cars these days use pushers, but I remember seeing them on a Mercedes sedan from late 80's to 90's that may have them.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I use the BMW 64541392913 2-speed auxiliary pusher fan from an E32/34/36 powered by a Volvo 2-speed fan relay controlled by a BMW 61311378073 91°/99° dual section temperature switch. Works just fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I use the BMW 64541392913 2-speed auxiliary pusher fan from an E32/34/36 powered by a Volvo 2-speed fan relay controlled by a BMW 61311378073 91°/99° dual section temperature switch. Works just fine.
Beat me to it.

Although the M3's fan comes built in as a shroud, they're excellent units. I deleted the mechanical fan off of my own E36 M3 (they're time bombs that like to grenade and take out a lot of expensive parts) and only use the factory-located pusher, and have never had an ounce of trouble.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Would you want a "full size" pusher fan ?

I drive a 96 GMC 2500 4x4 w/ 7.4 (454) . . . . . It does have a pusher fan just behind the front grille .
But, It's NOT full size . . . . . more like an auxiliary cooling fan .

or - - - can he mount more than one pusher fan :

just thinking . . . .

·
6,408 Posts
Pusher fans are not as efficient as a fan behind a radiator. A big disadvantage is air blockage at highway speeds as shown in the picture above. I see the shroud as a hinderance and without a shroud a better pusher fan. The fan will need to be pushing air all the time. That pusher fan shown above might be ok on a slow moving vehicle like a fork lift. It would be interesting knowing what the radiator and it's location looks like on the hot rod.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Virtually every BMW made since the 1970's has an auxiliary fan in front of the radiator/condenser assembly. Same with Mercedes. They are usually used in conjunction with the air conditioning to add air flow. I have used the pusher fan for many years on my car and it works very well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He needs to have a pusher fan because it has less than 2" between the water pump pulley and the radiator

·
6,408 Posts
Virtually every BMW made since the 1970's has an auxiliary fan in front of the radiator/condenser assembly. Same with Mercedes. They are usually used in conjunction with the air conditioning to add air flow. I have used the pusher fan for many years on my car and it works very well.
Mike, since it's an auxiliary fan, do you think one would work for the hot rod as the only cooling fan since he won't be running a rear fan?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Mike, since it's an auxiliary fan, do you think one would work for the hot rod as the only cooling fan since he won't be running a rear fan?
It works well on my BMW as the only fan. It actually runs very little as my engine seldom gets above 190°, even in the 100°+ weather we've had lately. Low speed seems to work well enough to cool the engine as I don't recall it ever going to high speed. Once you reach 25-30 mph the natural air flow is sufficient to keep the engine cool.
I've also done experiments with engine rpm at < 60 mph cruise speeds. It runs a 3-5° cooler in 4th than 5th at the same speed, probably due to the increased coolant flow.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mike, if it's not too much trouble please give me the dimensions of the -----913 fan. I'm working on a non-Nova project currently and it may be just the ticket.
Also, can it be triggered by a GM LS PCM w/o using any additional controller?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
It's wired as a 2-speed fan, One wire goes through a large resistor for low speed and the other goes direct to the motor for high speed. I don't know anything about GM controllers.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
and, slim-line style . . . . I like that .

Thanks , Mike .

jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts