Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say if I wanted to rewire my entire car, 64 (COUPE:salute:) bumper to bumper. All the factory connectors like headlamp plug (3 wire), the bulkhead connectors to the back of the fuse block (8 pin), turn signal switch harness (8 pin), etc.

I cant even pull up a solid vendor that sells just the plugs, and terminals separately. Every time I google something, AWW or Painless pops up with an entire harness kit.

I must not be searching corectly:confused:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Call my friend Matt Goss at PICO Wiring in Eugene Oregon (541-688-5328) and see what he can do for you. I know you will have a problem locating the connectors for the front parking light but other that that Matt should have what you need. He gets a lot of loose parts when he gets a return of inventory from a distributor and he should be able to send you a bag of parts for the headlights, taillights, etc.

Another difficult part to find are the connector bodies and terminals for the firewall connection. He might not have those either.

Give him a chance and I think you will be please with the prices.

Don't talk to anyone else but Matt.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call my friend Matt Goss at PICO Wiring in Eugene Oregon (541-688-5328) and see what he can do for you. I know you will have a problem locating the connectors for the front parking light but other that that Matt should have what you need. He gets a lot of loose parts when he gets a return of inventory from a distributor and he should be able to send you a bag of parts for the headlights, taillights, etc.

Another difficult part to find are the connector bodies and terminals for the firewall connection. He might not have those either.

Give him a chance and I think you will be please with the prices.

Don't talk to anyone else but Matt.
Im going to definitely:thumbsup: give him a call!

Probably not within your budget but if you're going to go to the trouble of replacing all your connectors you may as well rewire the car so that the wiring is fresh. OEM connectors come with most harness kits.

John
Not what I want to spend no. And plus, I would rather do it all myself, as wiring is not a problem for me, and that way I can rewire as I see fit. I plan on color coding all my wires, and splicing, terminating, and joining wires at factory locations. I cant justify paying someone else to have all the fun building it now can I?:no:

If I could just find out where those guys got the OEM connectors, I would be home free:yes: That seems to be the hardest part! I have been searching for a week now.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Most of the big harness vendors won't sell the connector bodies to individuals for that exact reason - they don't want you to have all the fun:D I think you may have to buy good used harnesses to get some of those components. IMO, all the time, effort and money one spends trying to locate all the correct components - including GXL/XLPE heat resistant automotive wire correctly sized for each circuit and a new fuse block, will equal or exceed the cost of a new harness. You can get a nice universal kit for under $200.00 but you will srill need additional parts. At least you'll have all the circuits and fuse block. That's my unsolicited :2cents:. Check here for terminals and some connectors. This vendor sells au-ve-co products.

http://dixie.hypermart.net/store/index.html

Frank

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the big harness vendors won't sell the connector bodies to individuals for that exact reason - they don't want you to have all the fun:D I think you may have to buy good used harnesses to get some of those components. IMO, all the time, effort and money one spends trying to locate all the correct components - including GXL/XLPE heat resistant automotive wire correctly sized for each circuit and a new fuse block, will equal or exceed the cost of a new harness. You can get a nice universal kit for under $200.00 but you will srill need additional parts. At least you'll have all the circuits and fuse block. That's my unsolicited :2cents:. Check here for terminals and some connectors. This vendor sells au-ve-co products.

http://dixie.hypermart.net/store/index.html

Frank
Frank, I have two things to say to this...A appreciate your unsolicited advice...(although I did ask for it, so Id say its pretty solicited:D) and I know exactly what your saying! These stupid little connectors are very hard to find but slowly I am making progress! Where there is a will...:devil:

I am going to check out dixie later today, they look like they have some good stuff! I have a page and a half of links and resources now:turn: Plus there are some cool custom things I wanted to do to my harness that the aftermarket ones do not cater to. Should be neat:)

Nate

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dealerships

I am in the middle of an LS swap into my 73'. I am taking this chance to update the factory harness. I took apart my factory bulkhead connector and pulled the terminals out. After calling all the local electrical shops without success. Almost more for the comic relief I took the terminals into my local GM dealership. The guy went into the shop and came back with an old dust covered red plastic organizer and low and behold, he had the connectors I needed!! $.75ea was a little steep but not to bad.

Can't be sure they will have what you need, but it may be worth checking out! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
AAW bought a lot of tooling when Packard/Delphi was spun off from GM. They will not sell connector bodies. Some of the more common ones like headlights and headlight switches are available but others like ignition switch connectors cannot be purchased. They made a big investment in tooling and can't make their money back by selling you a $2 connector. They need to sell kits at high volume.

Tim

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
for the time & trouble you'll go through to patch a harness the condition of the wire should be a paramount concern. the insulation gets brittle with time and just bending a wire could cause the insulation to crack. i think if you have to re-terminate just a few ends where someone has cut/modified the harness is one thing but depending on how much repair is needed then a harness should be considered...

most harnesses i've seen in 35 years or so have modifications on the radio circuit, in the engine bay and for the ignition switch... for a 1st/2nd genner the headlight & engine harnesses are sold separately. if the harness needs any repairs under the dash they should be minimal... the engine bay harnesses, if butchered... i'd just replace them...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
73 def worth checking into! Ill have to stop by my old dealership and talk the the 15A guy about their connectors. You never know.....

Chevy kid thats what I figured. I knew they were trying to monopolize the market, wise business move, but I refuse to pay their overhead to buy their product, (Which I actually think is very high quality, not saying its not worth it) but the delphi packard connector selection readily available has enough variety of plugs with different numbers of cavities to perform ALL of my current plugs function. They may just have a little bit of a different shape. Originality is second to performance, and I intend to build a top quality harness for my car with what is available. OEM would be preferable, but I can still get connectors that look original aside from a few deign modifications that will perform equivalent to factory wiring brand new:yes: And with the updates I intend to add, it will actually be more functional than stock, heavier duty, and look just as clean. That is the intent.

And Flyer, Im going to redo the whole schabang. From the headlamp and marker lamp connectors to the tail and license plate lights. I have already purchased a sample stock harness for a template, (lengths, connector type, circuit routing, splice points, etc). I am trashing all the old stuff eventually and if I can manage, I will get new plugs for every swtich, terminal and connector in that car. If I have to, I will reuse the ignition switch connectors, etc, but either way, new terminals in those plugs and brand new crimps all the way around. I am looking for a fuse block now, donno If I want to mount it remotely in the trunk, go with mini fuses, or what, but I plan on making the harness a versatile and easily serviceable unit, modular design to easily remove sectional pieces for testing or modifications; (will have intermittent plugs throughout allowing me to isolate and remove only what I need to perform what has to be done with minimal fuss.

Everything in my car works, almost perfect too, besides the turn signal switch, if you remember that thread, nothing is inoperable. Aside from that my electrical is in top running order...but it is, at the end of the day, 50 year old wiring. That mixed with the 50 years of strange hands making their own mods to my harness...I want it all gone, and I want to start fresh. My way too:cool: I have every faith in my wiring ability to reproduce a kit similar to AWW, and the time invested is free education:yes: How could you beat that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts