Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,I finally did it,put one of my old race motors in a street car. Been wanting to do it for years and it's in. Planning on Saturday to make fire and piss off the guy next door. I'm planning on starting off with race gas but that's going to get pricey. How high of compression are you guys getting away with on 91 at the pump? I know this won't run on just 91 so what about octane booster? Which one? This motor ran methanol during its career and I have buddies that ran about the same motor on race gas,(114). It's a 377,full roller,Pro action steel heads with 235 runners,fully ported, Vic jr.,ceramic coated SRPs ,should be right around 13:1. 850 Holley. If I remember right,the cam is about a 625 or 630ish roller,(been 5 years since I ran this one). I'm sure someday I will get tired of paying so much to drive this thing and swap out the heads,but until then any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Why dont you convert that race engine to run E85 its 105 octane and is cheap, you wont get pump gas to run with 13 to 1, just need a E85 carb or covert your carb and compatable hoses and seals. then you could drive it everywere.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
if by "octane booster" you are referring to the off-the-shelf stuff found at kragen's, napa autoparts, pepboys, walmart, etc.... i WOULDN'T run it. i just read a great article about this question in the latest issue of Car Craft (July 2009). pg. 61.
the off the shelf stuff claims to raise octane by, say "2 points" (ex.), according to the article whats happening is this = 91 octane + octane booster (2 points)= 91.2 octane, not 93 octane.

they give a link to: http://www.rockettbrand.com/techsupport/documents/BlendingCharts/91OctaneBlendingChart.pdf

you can blend/mix the 91 with your higher octane race gas, to make your motor happy and hopefully cut down on the cost of race fuel.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I tried several octane boosters while on the Power Tour with my 14.5-1 iron headed 406--I saw NO difference with any of them.
A gallon of C-12 (108) mixed with about 5 gallons of 91 worked fine for me, even when racing the car. Use the least octane you can get away with, even though the Rockett fuel guy will disagree.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I don't have any E-85 around here that I've seen,but I will keep looking.My fuel system will handle it,just put the alky carb back on. I'll figure a 5:1 mix with race gas,but that still limits me to a half a tank from home unless I start off with a richer mix and add to it on the road. I always had my doubts on the boosters.I can get race gas any day of the week(live by Laguna Seca,pumps there)so that's looking like the way to go......

·
4,542 Posts
I know there used to be a few stations that had 94 octane fuel but I don't go there so I'm not sure they still sell it. It was more $, that much I remember lol

Miles

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Not all octane boosters are the same. The link I provided earlier is made with real Tetraethyl lead and gives full points increase. That stuff is the real deal and no BS. Notice for example 2.5 ounces gived you a 7.0 increase and not .7 increase.

1 case of that stuff will make 153.6 gallons of 100 octane fuel. Plus it is only $160 shipped for a case of it.

http://realleadinstead.com/

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Well,I finally did it,put one of my old race motors in a street car. Been wanting to do it for years and it's in. Planning on Saturday to make fire and piss off the guy next door. I'm planning on starting off with race gas but that's going to get pricey. How high of compression are you guys getting away with on 91 at the pump? I know this won't run on just 91 so what about octane booster? Which one? This motor ran methanol during its career and I have buddies that ran about the same motor on race gas,(114). It's a 377,full roller,Pro action steel heads with 235 runners,fully ported, Vic jr.,ceramic coated SRPs ,should be right around 13:1. 850 Holley. If I remember right,the cam is about a 625 or 630ish roller,(been 5 years since I ran this one). I'm sure someday I will get tired of paying so much to drive this thing and swap out the heads,but until then any help would be great. Thanks
What kind of rpm's do you build power to? Everyone told me Victor jr wasnt enough for 7500.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Everyone told me Victor jr wasnt enough for 7500
Victor Jr.'s are rated from 3500-8000 RPM and will work just fine on a lot of SBC combos--I ran one with an 850 DP on a 391"....ran 10.25/131 in a 71 Nova....only spun that one to about 7700 RPM, must be the 3.832" stroke slowing me down!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The most I ever raced my Vic jr. was 7600.Had one that went to 9200 when the pinion broke at the checkered flag for the win(bad chip). I looked at the refueling list for the E-85,closest one is 2 hours away! I put in 3 gals. of 114 with 10 gals. of 91 tonight,should be good to make some noise tomorrow! Just need my 850 from my buddy that's rebuilding it. Checked out the Real Lead ad Tubbed, looks like a good deal,have you used it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts