Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a about 600 miles of break in......a little re timing etc. I have found that I need a little octane boost to help the diesling issue.
I have been using a Lucas product and seems to solve my problem.
Curious to hear from the crowd who is using what and results.......octane boost products.
Good to see the boards operating again.
AG

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
i use Turbo 108 Octane boost. my last nova i had a 396 w/12.5-1 comp and used this stuff and had great luck with it. i use it now with my 355 10.5-1 comp and it runs great. i use 2 bottles to every tank of gas

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
When I go to the track, I put in 5 gallons of Premium gasoline and 1 bottle of Turbo 108. 10.25 comp. I have'nt notice any detonation issues. I run 12 initial and 36 total timing.
Brandon

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've tried most of what's out there and never found any of them to do anything but lighten your wallet. But that was with my old 14.5-1 iron headed small block in 100 degree weather!

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
bowtie0069 said:
I've tried most of what's out there and never found any of them to do anything but lighten your wallet. But that was with my old 14.5-1 iron headed small block in 100 degree weather!
I agree with Mike (did I just say that outloud!?!?) :p I've tried some of the octane boosters and it was a waste of money IMO. All it did was make it harder to read my plugs because it leaves a colored coating on the porcelain.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/72498/index.html

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I think we had a thread on this before that sometimes run on was caused by the idle being set higher than normal (to compensate for a lumpy looong duration cam) and this causes too much of the carb transfer slot(I think that is the name) to be exposed...so when you shut the car off it attempts to run on....Possibly what might help is the addition of an idle solenoid at the carb.....this would allow you to set the idle to what the motor needs but when you shut the car off and power is removed form the solenoid the car will shut off and not try to run on cause the throttle plate will completely close thus covering up the transfer slot allowing the motor to stop running....Just my 2 cents...:)

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I think a good tuner could get rid of the run on. Mine used to do that; lot of times that had to do with initial timing, idle speed, and idle mixture screws.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
The only thing octane boosters boost is the bottom line of the respective manufacturer. The only thing that would have any effect in the amount that they sell that stuff in would be tetraethyl lead, and that ranks right up there with plutonium for being dangerous and unobtainable. Add race gas to unleaded premium to get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I run 87 in my car.It has a .30 over 350,355,With about 350 hp.Doese not run on or nothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts