Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a 'lurking' member for a while. The time has finally come that I need to put some love (ie $$$) into my 66. I purchased the car back in 2008 and have been enjoying it for what it is stock suspension, steering and lack of power ;-)

It currently has:
- 4 wheel manual drums w/ 'widow maker' manual single master
- leaky factory power steering
- Griffen aluminum radiator
- stock suspension on its way out
- 350 low compression truck motor (cyl 4 is now gone)
- small valve iron heads
- edelbrock 650 carb and performer intake
- headers that don't fit and are dented in to make fit
- 2.5" exhaust
- TH350 that leaks big time

Basically, the car needs a good over haul. The body is in fairly good shape with the exception of some bubbles along the drip rails and passenger fender.

Being that i enjoy driving my car more than showing it, i am a %75 function and %25 form kind of guy so the body work is really not a priority to me right now.

The more i get into this car, the more i realize that i want to do it. I am seeing Pandora's box here big time. I have a limited budget, so i want to make sure that i am spending my money in the right places and in the right order. I refuse to do things twice so if it means spending a bit more to do it the correct way one time, then i will do it, however i have a limited budget. My goal is to have a car that is used for %75 street and %25 road coarse / strip.

Right now I have pulled the motor/tranny and decided it isn't worth doing anything to. In doing so, i have also discovered that the chassis wiring harness is a fire waiting to happen, steering needs help, brakes suck and the list goes on.

I am looking for guidance on where i should be focusing on, where i should be spending my money, where i can potentially wait etc.

Here is what I am thinking in order of priority:

1. CBR front steering/suspension setup w/ single adjustable Coil Overs & sway bar
2. AAW Chassis Harness
3. CBR LS Brake swap
4. LQ4 Swap (i havent decided about Manual or Auto Trans, im leaning towards T56)
5. CBR LS Headers
6. Some sort of 17" or larger wheels
7. L92 heads and Cam Upgrade
8. CBR 3" Exhaust
9. CBR rear 4-link

In order to get the car back up and running ASAP, i am thinking that i will only be able to do 1-6 this year and 7-9 later.

I need some thoughts on what to do with the:

- brake setup
- Radiator
- Gas tank/fuel pump
- fuel/brake lines

I know there are things here that i haven't thought about and need to consider and i welcome any thoughts. Right now i am overwhelmed because i was hoping to do this build in phases, however, it seems like i need to do it all at once in order to do it right. :confused:

Can anyone provide any guidance, insight or general words of encouragement? I just need a solid plan that i can work towards one step at a time...

Here is a pic:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, I know that CBR add some good looks to you car but Im going to tell you what I did to my 67. I got a complete front end including steering pump from a Chevy S10 we measure to size and welded some plate and bolt it in. I got it for $300 on craiglist. This can work if you have a small budget. My Nova rides like a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
It seems to me that you have it pretty well figured out. I think your on the right track with the CBR stuff because you can do your build in stages as your budget allows and you can keep the car on the road. Those AAW harnesses are nice too. Pricey but nice. I think you might appreciate not having a rats nest under your dash. Basically Im just agreeing with a good plan you have come up with. The only other opinion I might give is if you need to cut something from the list because of $ dont let it be the brakes. I wish you the best of luck with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

It seems to me that you have it pretty well figured out. I think your on the right track with the CBR stuff because you can do your build in stages as your budget allows and you can keep the car on the road. Those AAW harnesses are nice too. Pricey but nice. I think you might appreciate not having a rats nest under your dash. Basically Im just agreeing with a good plan you have come up with. The only other opinion I might give is if you need to cut something from the list because of $ dont let it be the brakes. I wish you the best of luck with it.
I love 66 and 67 I have a 66 I've been building for a few years now, save your money and put a new front end in it and a narrowed 9". It will handle like a dream when your done. It will cost about 6- 8 to do it but well worth it!

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
It sounds as though you have thought about this for a while...

Your plan is perfect in my opinion...but what do I know...LOL.

You can do the things you have outlined in stages as your budget allows. Complete one item, move to the next and so on....you definitely will never go wrong with CBR products, their reputation precedes them...

Start a build thread, post plenty of pictures, and update it often, everyone here digs plenty of pictures. Seems we all live vicariously through other members builds.....

Just don't post it in the Nova Projects forum abovre, unless you don't want feedback or comments, that section does not allow anyone to reply to your thread....

T,

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I have been a 'lurking' member for a while. The time has finally come that I need to put some love (ie $$$) into my 66. I purchased the car back in 2008 and have been enjoying it for what it is stock suspension, steering and lack of power ;-)

It currently has:
- 4 wheel manual drums w/ 'widow maker' manual single master
- leaky factory power steering
- Griffen aluminum radiator
- stock suspension on its way out
- 350 low compression truck motor (cyl 4 is now gone)
- small valve iron heads
- edelbrock 650 carb and performer intake
- headers that don't fit and are dented in to make fit
- 2.5" exhaust
- TH350 that leaks big time

Basically, the car needs a good over haul. The body is in fairly good shape with the exception of some bubbles along the drip rails and passenger fender.

Being that i enjoy driving my car more than showing it, i am a %75 function and %25 form kind of guy so the body work is really not a priority to me right now.

The more i get into this car, the more i realize that i want to do it. I am seeing Pandora's box here big time. I have a limited budget, so i want to make sure that i am spending my money in the right places and in the right order. I refuse to do things twice so if it means spending a bit more to do it the correct way one time, then i will do it, however i have a limited budget. My goal is to have a car that is used for %75 street and %25 road coarse / strip.

Right now I have pulled the motor/tranny and decided it isn't worth doing anything to. In doing so, i have also discovered that the chassis wiring harness is a fire waiting to happen, steering needs help, brakes suck and the list goes on.

I am looking for guidance on where i should be focusing on, where i should be spending my money, where i can potentially wait etc.

Here is what I am thinking in order of priority:

1. CBR front steering/suspension setup w/ single adjustable Coil Overs & sway bar
2. AAW Chassis Harness
3. CBR LS Brake swap
4. LQ4 Swap (i havent decided about Manual or Auto Trans, im leaning towards T56)
5. CBR LS Headers
6. Some sort of 17" or larger wheels
7. L92 heads and Cam Upgrade
8. CBR 3" Exhaust
9. CBR rear 4-link

In order to get the car back up and running ASAP, i am thinking that i will only be able to do 1-6 this year and 7-9 later.

I need some thoughts on what to do with the:

- brake setup
- Radiator
- Gas tank/fuel pump
- fuel/brake lines

I know there are things here that i haven't thought about and need to consider and i welcome any thoughts. Right now i am overwhelmed because i was hoping to do this build in phases, however, it seems like i need to do it all at once in order to do it right. :confused:

Can anyone provide any guidance, insight or general words of encouragement? I just need a solid plan that i can work towards one step at a time...

Here is a pic:
I will agree with the others in that you have a very well thought out plan. My only question to you is in your off street use. You posted that you wanted to run the car 25% road course/strip. To run either of those effectively will take a very different suspension setup one from the other. Drag and Road Race suspensions are almost the polar opposite of each other. You'll need to decide one or the other otherwise you will be sorely disappointed when you run either.

As far as budget disc brakes there's a company called Right Stuff Detailing that makes a pretty good DB conversion kit. Check them out.

John

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I know what I'd do for a fuel tank LOL :cool:

Like they said about CBR, top notch company right there. I have their headers, and they are a perfect fit. And if I could do it over again, I seriously think I'd skip the complete aftermarket clip and go with the CBR setup. I love the look of stock inner fenders :yes: and their kit lets you keep them.

Radiator - lots go with Entropy with good results. I went with Superior and have not had one problem yet. It was around $550 with fans included. I would ask them to put the filler neck on the passenger side to help clear up the area on the driver side for more air filter room though.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I know what I'd do for a fuel tank LOL :cool:

Like they said about CBR, top notch company right there. I have their headers, and they are a perfect fit. And if I could do it over again, I seriously think I'd skip the complete aftermarket clip and go with the CBR setup. I love the look of stock inner fenders :yes: and their kit lets you keep them.

Radiator - lots go with Entropy with good results. I went with Superior and have not had one problem yet. It was around $550 with fans included. I would ask them to put the filler neck on the passenger side to help clear up the area on the driver side for more air filter room though.
Nutsy,

Talk to Bari(66 badboy)! He has the whole thing figured out as far as your gas tank is concerned. I researched the few companies that will do a camaro fuel pump conversion and Bari's came out with, in my opinion, the best bang for your buck.

BTW......you're welcome!! Hahaha!

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I have a bit more homework/research to do.

Anyone have any comments regarding Aaw vs painless vs Ron Francis for chassis wiring?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Your plan sounds allot like mine! I have realized that the small stuff adds up really fast. The fuel, ac, power steering hoses and fittings, the little crap that you think of that you start wanting to add to the car as you go along. It really has a way of snow balling WAY out of proportion. I have gone from doing a basic update to the suspension, brakes, and drivetrain with ac... to a smoothed out firewall, minitubb, hid and led lights, custom gauges and interior... Well the list seems to go on and on...

Oh well... its only money... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Guys thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I have a bit more homework/research to do.

Anyone have any comments regarding Aaw vs painless vs Ron Francis for chassis wiring?
The best advice I can give here is that I know that AAW makes a harness specifically for our cars. The fuse box fits in the same place and it makes life easy.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track, and a very nice car to start with.:yes:

I'm thinking about the Ron Francis harness. I have so many other accessories that are not in a factory style harness.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nutsy,

I am in the first stages of this very same journey. The plan you put forth looks very sound. I don't think you can go wrong with the CBR products. The best part about going with CBR is the support and response you get from Chuck. I can't say enough about CBR products or Chuck's willingness and sense of urgency to help. TomM is also a recognized expert. Don't let him kid you. He builds these in his sleep.

DK

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I'D DO THE LS BRAKES FOR A CHEAPER RELIABLE SETUP! :yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts