Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the accepted practice for numbers matching parts? What is the time range, between parts, engine and body, before its not relevant anymore?

Thanks

Ron

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
IMHO....I think you may be looking for a "Date Correct" reference.
If you are replacing an original part with a correct original part the date codes should preceed the build date of the car by 30 maybe 60 days hopefully.

In this stuation I couldn't refer to the part as "numbers matching".

wayne

·
13,817 Posts
Ron, as Waynew indicated there are really two things here. To the purists, numbers matching means the car still has the various components with which it was originally built......engine, transmission, rearend, etc. They would also consider it should have the original carb, intake, exhausts manifolds, accessories, paint and trim matching the cowl tag, etc.
Most cars that are called 'numbers matching' are not and should probably be referred to as 'date correct.' This means the various components are not necessarily all the originals, but are correct parts dated within acceptable time frames for the build date of the car. Chevy By The Numbers indicates that 1-3 months prior to the build date of the car is acceptable, although this was frequently extended by labour disputes, strikes, raw material shortages, etc.
Hope this helps.
Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was always of the opinion that mumbers matching could also be attained by assembling date correct parts, however, that clears that up and that makes alot of sense.

Ron

·
Registered
689 Posts
further question

On newer models you can match the motor numbers to the VIN. I did not think that you could do that on the early Novas. There seems to be no connection to the VIN on the motor in my 65 although it is a correct Nova motor. Am I worng on this, or is it possible to truely tell the difference between date correct and "numbers matching on the older Novas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts