Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things have calmed down now...The excitement has turned into...What now...I could use some advise on break in....The cam was new..but it had been broke in before I got it....Whats the best break in policy that you guys use....??..........I'm won't be able to drive it till I get the exhaust and I have to hook up the throttle...I'm trying to go by the book...Just not sure what book............Thanks......

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess you could say that about every used cam. They were all new at one time.

Was it broke-in in your engine?

If not you should use brand-new lifters with it to have the best chance of survival.
I got the cam and the lifters from the same engine...I also used that comp cam lube during my install of the cam and lifters.You know...That red stuff.....Both got a substantal amount of lube......And yes..They were broken in on a different motor....It was a 350 I believe...

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I got the cam and the lifters from the same engine...I also used that comp cam lube during my install of the cam and lifters.You know...That red stuff.....Both got a substantal amount of lube......And yes..They were broken in on a different motor....It was a 350 I believe...
Did you keep everything matched together?cam lobes and lifters?bm

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you keep everything matched together?cam lobes and lifters?bm
Yes I did...Listen to the engine and see how it sounds if that makes any difference..I put a link on my other post....

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
I'd say you have a 50/50 chance of it not wiping a lobe or two. Maybe not right away but down the road. Even though you kept the lifters on the same lobes, the lifter bores are usually not exactly perfect from engine to engine. All it takes is for one lifter bore to be slightly different than the other engine was and the cam will wipe.

That's why I always install new lifters when I put a used cam into a different engine. I will re-use the lifters if I am putting it back into the exact same engine but never if I switch to another. You might get lucky though. Make sure the lifters are spinning freely in the bores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts