Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a 63 post in new hampshire today. this is my first early nova. i know the 68-74s inside and out but im new to these cars.

it needs a lot of work but up here in new england there aren't many cars left around with out rot as some of you know.

ive always wanted to get a 62-64 post and now i finally found one so im pretty excited. it was already converted to 5 lug and a v8 automatic at one point. no motor or trans now. my plan is to start patching the car up and get it going while i collect parts and materials to build a straight axle gasser. love the axle cars. have my wheel set already as well as a 66 327. will be a 4 speed eventually as well.

im new to these cars though so im sure i'll have plenty of questions for you guys.

Ian

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes this is a big project. as of right now ill start the bodywork. car needs quite a bit. id like to get it all together with a beater small block and an auto so i can cruise it around this summer.

later on i hope to destroke the 327 and make it a 302 and put a m-22 in it as well as a 9 inch rear. i also plan on bending up my own full 10 point cage and making frame rails and then using a speedway or other front axle kit. fenderwell headers. tinted lexan. all the old school stuff. maybe a tunnel ram. will all depend on funds haha. just really want to have fun with this one.

·
Registered
682 Posts
.........hummm, a 1st. gen post car with a four speed.......AND a straight alxe! Couldn't get much cooler than that:cool: Take lots of pics and keep us posted. Good luck with your first 1st. Gen!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Whats the story on the wheel wells? Are you keeping the '70's flairs?
I like '63 Chevy II 100s the best, but looks like this one needs new frame rails and alot of new steel. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
After seeing some of the project cars on SNS....I've got to admit...Most of you guys would take on much more than I would ever think of...I have my hands full just rebuilding a 327 and swapping a transmission.....not counting the cash flow....I've got over $3k in mine and It's still up on jacks...Good luck with your build....I always wanted to start with a 62-65,,,,but ended up with a 66....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
car was in rochester at a motorcycle shop called V-Twin cycle. not too far from new england dragway on rt 125. nice guy. delivered the car for me.

3 pedal post, from your user name it sounds like you have a similar setup to what i would like to do to my car. ill keep posting as i go with this car.

and yea this car probably looks too fargone to some but being in new england on top of the fact that these cars just aren't turning up for sale as much anymore made me jump on this when i saw it. i did check the rear frame rails when i went to check the car out and couldnt find a soft spot in them. floors were patched before and from what i could tell feeling around they are still holding up. as for the rear quarters, ill see what i have to work with once i get all the filler off them. since theyre so beat already i'll probably radius them to fit the rear tires i have. gonna go grab the wheel set ive been saving for one of these cars tomorrow and throw them on. ill post a picture when i get that far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
She's rough, man, but with some time and effort, it'll be a bitchin' striaght axle!

I know what you mean with being far gone coampred to out west - Rust-consin is the same way.

I'll definitely be following this thread, best of luck!

-Sam.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts

I've got a straight axle & springs if you need them. Springs were rebuilt, axle is for an Econoline. Has the knuckles & cross shaft. Was installed on my '64 at one point.

Jim

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jim,

i may be interested in those parts. how much are you looking to get for the stuff? is that a dropped axle or straight?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Now, I remember why I left the EAST coast to come live in Sunny California. ALL the cars back east have CANCER.

Bryan

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
more pics

been messing around with the car. put the front wheels on it that im gonna use. just couldnt fit the rears yet so its got another set of rallys on the back for now. after digging through me and my father's pile of gm keys i found one that works in the ignition. not exaclty right but it works.

heres some more pictures

heres the rear wheels ill be using.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Wow.. I guess Im a lil spoiled living in So Cal. That would be more than I could accomplish these days. Maybe when I was younger it would have been a dream car for me. I think as the years go on I have less ambition and positive attitude. But then I come here and get a BIG boost of both seeing what alot of guys tackle. All the power to you and keep us posted on the revival. I always get a boost of power seeing real project cars. JR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts