Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer with a 914 porsche with a small block in it. I just rebuilt his #9895 spreadbore holley carb. His problem is when he starts it fuel is gushing out of the bowl vents. New needles and seats, checked floats for leaks, they are fine and float in solvent. Checked float level per holley, these are non adjustable but they are set level, I even dropped the primary float a tad. Now he says he has the same problem. He says he has a holley blue pump, I told him to get a regulator and set it at 5 psi. Same thing. He sent me an email and said he's set the pressure at 2psi and says its coming out of the rear bowl vent. Not sure of the accuracy of his gage so Im gonna go and check it out. I might try to start the car without the pump running and then turn it on see if it floods over. Then crank the regulator down some more.

Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
these are not center hung bowls and do not have the needle seat arrangement that drops in from the top. These are side hung bowls, non adjustable so the needle and seat is inside. I did think that maybe the needles and seats aren't big enough but it should handle a stock application.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
How long did the carb sit unused between the time you finished the rebuild and when he applied fuel to it? I've had to tap the housing with the handle end of a screw driver on side-hung bowls to unstick a needle in a carb that sat for a short time between having fuel in the bowls and then being dry.

·
Registered
508 Posts
id try tapping it like said above. also im not sue what kind of regulator he is using but most regs dont go under 3.5 -4.5 psi. unless it is a low pres. reg which will not flow over 5 psi most of the time. so definalty check the gauge and set the fuel presure with one that you know works. if you replaced the needle and seat asembalys they should be shuting the fuel down and not be leting it get to the vent. double check the float level again and make sure the seats are clear. good luck!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I redid the carb on monday and he put on wednesday. I told him not trust the gage and put on a regulator. Emails me today same thing but I think not as bad? I don't know I'm gonna go over there and see whats what. All I can think its just overcoming the needle and seats as in too much pressure.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just remember B4 you start it up,,,,,,,,,,you really don't know:no: how much gas he has let go down into the engine:eek:.So be very careful:yes:,,ck dip stick:bored: ect,,or you may be trouble shooting an oil pressure problem:eek:.

Just my 2 cents :devil:

·
Registered
287 Posts
You didn't say what or if you have a filter in-line. Debris will hold up the needle, even a new needle/seat. I would also check the back face of the carb body for flat with a straight edge, I had one that actually warped over winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts