Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am starting to get peed off!! Two MSD box's no start checked every wire going to the ECU still no start. Call FAST again tomorrow and see if I can barrow a gray box just to see if that is what is going on. I have been through every line of code on the ECU and it all looks good. But still no start. Driving me nuts!!!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Are you seeing an RPM signal to your FAST, is it firing injectors, do you have spark?

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you seeing an RPM signal to your FAST, is it firing injectors, do you have spark?
Have spark injectors are firing. RPM is all over the place. At a idle it shows 7000 all the way up to 12000 not 700 or 1200 and them it will go back to were it should be and them back wild. I am starting to think distributor.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is grounded good real good. FAST is sending me a box to try and see if it is the box. But the more I dig the more it looks like the distributor.

·
6,404 Posts
I've got a good running 194 that'll bolt right in. Better gas mileage then what you have. Did I mention the running part? We could trade. You know an engine that doesn't run for one that does. I know I'd be taking a chance on your engine but I'll bite the bullet.

You must be really peed off because this is prime motoring time. What dist. are you running?

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Tim isn't technology great:eek: give me a Holley any day I'm just dumb enough to get them to work:devil::devil:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Just a thought. I've run MSD boxes for years and Autometer Tach's with no problems. Well, the last MSD box I ran when hooked to the old Autometer tach I've used for years wouldn't work for nothing. I had to buy a tach adapter to get it to work. Why would anytihng be different? I don't know, but the tach signal was different. like I said, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I bet it's an electrical problem :yes:, I've got an old dual point here if you need it. You guy's that master and tweak the EFI systems to perfection totally amaze me. I don't have the patience to learn I guess.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Sounds like you pickup in the dist may be bad.

I have seen a similar problem where the ecu needed the dist reluctor with only one tab and the other 7 ground off, and it used the crank trigger to do the rest, the car owner didnt ground off the other 7 tabs and the ecu saw basically 8x engine rpm.

I think that was on a FAST also, but I am assuming your problem just occured on an already running system and is not a new install issue?

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've got a good running 194 that'll bolt right in. Better gas mileage then what you have. Did I mention the running part? We could trade. You know an engine that doesn't run for one that does. I know I'd be taking a chance on your engine but I'll bite the bullet.

You must be really peed off because this is prime motoring time. What dist. are you running?
ACCEL/DFI DUAL SYNC DISTRIBUTORS It is looking more and more like that is it. I got a FAST DISTRIBUTOR on the way and a gray box on lone. Tried some new programing today with no luck.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like you pickup in the dist may be bad.

I have seen a similar problem where the ecu needed the dist reluctor with only one tab and the other 7 ground off, and it used the crank trigger to do the rest, the car owner didnt ground off the other 7 tabs and the ecu saw basically 8x engine rpm.

I think that was on a FAST also, but I am assuming your problem just occured on an already running system and is not a new install issue?
Yes it has been running for over three years. I put in a new DISTRIBUTOR last year and it has been running great.

·
6,404 Posts
ACCEL/DFI DUAL SYNC DISTRIBUTORS It is looking more and more like that is it. I got a FAST DISTRIBUTOR on the way and a gray box on lone. Tried some new programing today with no luck.
I remember talking to someone with Accel more then a year ago and they were having problems with their dist. to the point that they weren't recommending their use until they had the problem fixed. Don't know what the problem was. I use the GM small HEI unit. I think they are 88-92 Camaro/Firebird and 88-95 GM truck. Easy to replace a part or unit.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I remember talking to someone with Accel more then a year ago and they were having problems with their dist. to the point that they weren't recommending their use until they had the problem fixed. Don't know what the problem was. I use the GM small HEI unit. I think they are 88-92 Camaro/Firebird and 88-95 GM truck. Easy to replace a part or unit.
There was a power issue with them for some time. But we have found a fixed for that. We are trying to find a way to test this one with out sending it in " takes so long to get it there and back". FAST said yesterday that they were not sure there new one would work with this box. Tried to talk to someone from Accel yesterday with no luck. This box will not work with the GM one with out it being re calibrated.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little update. Well the DISTRIBUTOR is OK. So all that is left is the ECU. One is on the way to test. On the down side if it is the ECU no one makes or sales it anymore. That means New ECU New Wiring Harness and a new DISTRIBUTOR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts