Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was a freshman in highschool, my dad and I were working on his '75 Nova. While searching for parts, I came across this '78. Base model, bench seat, six cylinder, th350, 7.5 with 2.56 gears. The fender was a little beat up and it needed quarters, but I brought it home for a $110 bid. I immediately swapped in a 283. Drove the car for a few years in highschool (daily, including the winter).

I blew up the 283. Put in a 307. Blew up the 307. Put in a pretty nice 350 that Paul Wright and DriveWFO helped out on. Blew up the 350. Put a forged rotating assembly in. Blew up the 355 (it's now in my garage, awaiting tear down). I found this junker 350 in another parts nova. Good oil pressure, good compression, scoots pretty good. We'll see what it runs in the quarter mile in the spring with the junk motor. I'm getting about 15 mpg daily driving it again. It hasn't broke in 2 months, so I'm pretty pumped.

It's showing 8 years left in the snow, but it's still a nice 10 footer. I almost sold it a few times, but it's worth it now.

Currently:

Stock 350 with junk, low compression, small valve heads.
RV camshaft
Holley 600 VS
Mallory HEI
Hooker 1 5/8's
2 1/2" exhaust

Racecar parts:
Electric fan
Aluminum rad
Battery in trunk
Fuel Cell
3.73 Posi 8.5 10 Bolt
Subframe connectors
Trick Springs
90/10 shocks
SSM lift bars

I'll put the good heads, 750 DP, a big cam and the 3" bullets back on when I'm ready to race again.

Kev

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
way ta go Kev... just keep pluggin away..... are ya sure ya want to tear in to this engine?:rolleyes:

AAHhhhh heck... BLS-3?

BY the way.. Cool color choice...... cant believe you daily drive it in the winter... Hoooo the Horror, The Horror....

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I dunno if I have the heart to tear down this little 350. It's given me no problems since I put it in. My "need for speed" may overcome my "need to cruise" though. It's a constant battle.

As for the winters, I drove it in highschool and a little bit of college every day. It sat outside at my folks place for three years in college. The past two years it's been in my garage for the winters. I don't feel bad about taking it out though. It has some rust bubbles under the doors/rockers and some good scratches. I'm gonna have to repaint in the next couple years any way.

Kev

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We'll see what they need. Probably valve springs, touch up valve job and who knows what else. When I get $300 and some motivation I'll think about putting them all. It'd be a shame to waste heads that flow 250 @ .525 lift with a bitty little cam.

Kev

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
that is true but will probably have less problems because for me at least the more i add the more problems seem to have and you already have the heads so cant hurt it

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That pic ^ is the reason I went with the Pontiac Rally's! They just look right on a 4th gen, IMHO.

Kev

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think mine are actually Buick centers (10$ ebay special) that I put some corvette cross flag decals on. They look okay to me. If I find some affordable SS caps, I might put them on though.

Kev

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Whoops, I realized there were rules on posting in this section.....

Novaboy009

Year: 1978

Model: Chevrolet Nova

Engine: 350 - Junk Heads, stock short block, holley 600, 1 5/8 headers, Mallory HEI, Performer RPM, RV cam

Body/Exterior: Sport Mirrors, no molding, Fiberglass scoop - L-88 hood is coming soon

Front End: Moroso Trick Springs, Summit Drag Shocks, No sway bar, Poly Bushings, Disc Brakes

Transmission: TCI Super Streetfighter TH350 with Manual Valve Body

Rear End: 8.5 10 bolt, Moser axles, Eaton Posi, 3.73 richmond gears (loud)

Exhaust: 2.5 inch Summit System with turbos

Wheels/Tires: 14x7 4.5 B/S Pontiac Rally II - 295/50's and 195/70's

Interior: Redone in black, new door panels, Summit Bucket Seats, Covered Dash, Autometer Gauges, REI Belts

Electrical: Black Magic Fan, all new wiring harness

Accessories/Options: Power steering.... that's about it.

Sound system: Kenwood 6 x 9's and head unit.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
12.92 was it's best. Consistent 13.0x's. Just a basic 355 with ported S/R torquers and a pretty big cam last year. The 4th gens are heavy (3600+)! Now it's probably a 14.6 -15.0 kind of car. It's SLOW.... but doesn't blow up.

Kev

1 - 16 of 16 Posts