Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 Chevy Nova. Hangtown Deuce. Rick Pinoski. He crossed the line, and apparently clicked it into reverse. Hit the wall twice, and went on its lid.

No aftermath photos, but here's a before shot, though taken at a different time and at a different track.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
No Way!!!! that is a shame, I met the owner at Infineon and he told me that it had a 327 sbc, rochestor carb, under that flat hood, and runs a NHRA stock class. The car is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! and leaves like no other Nova I've seen...... this a real shame, hopefully it's repairable and didn't cause too much damage.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
67 Chevy Nova. Hangtown Deuce. Rick Pinoski. He crossed the line, and apparently clicked it into reverse. Hit the wall twice, and went on its lid.
Sorry to see that. But that shouldn't have been possible with a "reverse lock out" which is required safety equipment. In my Nova it takes both hands, two levers, a manual shift forward and then I still have to hold down a button for the car to move in reverse. People ... don't skimp on safety. Sheesh the very first "lock out" I had way back when was made out of a cabinet door hinge. Bolted it to the side of the shifter case and flipped it over before I staged. No way the shifter would move past it. Wasn't pretty but it worked. Probably took ten minutes to rig up and it passed tech. SAFETY FOLKS!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
This is why my car stays in high gear when I come through the traps...You could not pay me enough money to stick it into neutral...I like my right foot, my car, and my life way too much!

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
I got a reverse manual valve body that freewheels in 1st and 2nd so if i don't want the engine brake i just downshift.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
hey David! this you?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
That is a shame he crashed. Would be good to know if and how he got it in reverse if that is what happened. Years ago I let my crewguy race my car at Mooresville in a points race that I could not attend personally. The rules allowed him to drive in my place and I would get the points. The first pass he made he knocked it in neutral for some goofy reason but it went into reverse. He hit nothing but it messed up alot of stuff. Busted the rearend, driveshaft and flat spotted the slicks. To this day nobody has ever figured out how the car got in reverse. It has a reverse lock out on the shifter that requires both hands to get into reverse. That happened in about 1993 and my brother owns that Nova today and it still has the same shifter in it and it has never not worked right so what happened that pass? I never take a steel rod motor out of gear after a pass and don't suggest anyone else does either. RM

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After reading some info on another site, there seem to be a few different views on what happened. Put it in reverse, broke a steering component, or just plain old crashed.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
That's a shame he crashed. I've been on my lid once in 1982. Not a good feeling. Has anyone asked HIM what happened? Just curious of the cause. Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts