Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
that would be kinda cool.....it may be real hard to find a donor set with similar roof contours/dimension...making a set would be cool, would take a lot of time to do it right though...i think making a non-convertible a convertible would be easier

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
On an unibody, such as a Nova, the roof is part of the stucture of the car. When you remove the roof, or even part of the roof, you are compromising the integrity of the entire car. It would be easier to retain some of the integrity of the roof with t-tops than it would be with a convertible. You would have to build some reinforcement through the center portion of the roof wher the t-top cutouts will be. I would tie the front of the cross beam to the A-pillars, and the rear to the sail panels. Finding the tops will be the most difficult part.

Randy (that's my .02 cents):)

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
100% agree with the WHY ???????? Heck, sunroofs kill the value so I am sure T-tops will.. PLEASE< think long and hard before doing this....PLEASE.....

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Why?? Because some people just plain like it. Thats why. When doing a car for yourself what matters is what you like, not what others like.

Try a set from a TA or Firebird, they may be close. Also there are plenty of universal/aftermarket T tops around that you may find in junk yards and such, they are a little smaller then factory but you might find a pair that fit.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
About a week ago I had a dream that I found a white nova with t tops in the junk yard.It didn't have a motor in it but it was nice.Looked real cool.Just thought i'd share.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
it's gotta be a coupe too... i was going ta do one of my 55 Chevys 20 or so years ago... but my car was a sedan... gotta have a coupe ta seal the windows right...

i think it'd look bitchen if done right... gotta reinforce the centerline of the roof, and the tops have ta have correct "line" to 'em... bet it'd be cool if it could be pulled off...

before the saw comes out... quadruple check everything... i wish ya the best :D

"it's yer car... do what ya wanna do... i can't tell ya, who ta sock it to"

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would like to see how it turns out. I think you could definately find a donor car for a 3rd gen Nova. Body lines would be interesting with the T-Tops. In the late 70's dodge made a car(can't remember the name)that definately resembled the body lines of a nova and it had T-tops, possible donor.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys Guys Guys!!! Whoa! I'm not talking about doing this to a pristine survivor...I've got a 73 hatchback covered in a two-tone color scheme...black primer and rust! The car has no resale value right now anyway.

But it is a fun little car, I dropped my 250 in it so it drives around and I just bought my first welder so I was going to use this car to practice welding on, covering some of the rust holes with sheet metal. Then I was just thinking...about a cool custom hatchback where the hatchback was removed and t-tops were installed in the top.... what a cool little summer cruiser the breeze would just flow through! It would be like a Nova - Del Sol!:D kind of like a monster garage thing.

I've got a 71 that I wouldn't mess up...but what about fun! I agree there is a good chance it would look terrible...but that would be the challenge...to make it look good and cool! What if?

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
NovaNate said:
Guys Guys Guys!!! Whoa! I'm not talking about doing this to a pristine survivor...I've got a 73 hatchback covered in a two-tone color scheme...black primer and rust! The car has no resale value right now anyway.

But it is a fun little car, I dropped my 250 in it so it drives around and I just bought my first welder so I was going to use this car to practice welding on, covering some of the rust holes with sheet metal. Then I was just thinking...about a cool custom hatchback where the hatchback was removed and t-tops were installed in the top.... what a cool little summer cruiser the breeze would just flow through! It would be like a Nova - Del Sol!:D kind of like a monster garage thing.

I've got a 71 that I wouldn't mess up...but what about fun! I agree there is a good chance it would look terrible...but that would be the challenge...to make it look good and cool! What if?

Aaaw heck, in that case, get out the sawsall!!! Make a convertable out of iT!!!

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
The hard part is the door have the post; you will have to redo the entire door. If it was a hardtop it would be easier.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think their is a guy here on the board who is a rep for a company that makes a full frame retro fit kit for the 3rd gen Novas. They are expensive, but it should solve the structural problem for T-tops or a convertable. This is just an idea if you wanted to do it. Also if you had a full roll cage welded in it would help with the structure problem. One other way would be to go duke's of Hazard and weld the doors shut! The last tow are going to destroy any origional resale of the vehicle, but you could very well get a decent resale as a custom if it all was done right. I would never do anything like that to my car, but hey if somebody owns one and want's to do it more power to them. I hope they have fun and get what they want in the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts