Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a 1970 Nova today and it had black bumpers. The guy said he was talking to a gentlemen at a car show and the guy told him that it was a special car that possibly came from Canada. He called it a Black Night. I have never heard of this so I was just curious if there was such a thing. Could a car come from the factory with black bumpers or were they all chrome?
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
The only Black Knight that I have heard of is a later model El Camino. It was painted black with a horse head outline decal on the hood. Kind of like the TransAm bird. I believe there was also a White Knight version, in white. Both had chrome bumpers.

I don't know that GM cars offered a choice of painted or chrome bumpers at all in the late 60's and the 70's. You got chrome. It was common to choose painted or chrome bumpers on trucks, but not on cars, as far as I know.

I would say that the possibility that the bumpers are factory painted is very, very slim. It is possible that a dealer in Canada painted bumpers black, but why would you call a white car "black night"??

My take is the story is the stuff you will find on the ground in a bull pen.;)

Randy (watch yer step!!):eek:

·
13,678 Posts
I've never heard of such a Nova in Canada. Beginning in 1968, all the Novas sold in Canada were built in the U.S. If any of them had black bumpers they must have been changed over after they got up here. There was a dealer in eastern Canada who, I believe, modified Camaros and sold them as "Black Knights' or some such name. Who knows, maybe he did a couple of Novas. Try posting this in the Canadian Forum to see if anybody has more info.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
it could have been something a dealer could have done back then and called it soemthing of their own..dealership's do this nowadays

like chopper edition and so on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts