Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the title doesnt lie. I am a nova virgin. I have always tinkered with 78-87 G-bodys, Malibus , Monte carlo, Regal, Cutlass and so on. After selling my last malibu about 8 years ago and the fact my son is working on a 80 Malibu wagon has given me the bug again. Truth be told I just simply couldnt afford another project raising 3 kids. Now they are grown and gone so I see now is the time to play again before my grandchildren start yelling papaw give me something. Blah Blah I know. Anyway, my name is Mike and I live in upper east Tennessee very close to Brostol Motor Speedway and Thunder Valley Dragway. I recently found a 75 Nova setting in a yard of a dog training facility that we were having one of our dogs trained at. At the time I wasnt bitten by the bug and really wasnt interested as I was looking for another malibu. About a week ago I went to a guys house to look at a set of wheels and slicks for my sons car. The man had a 76 nova setting there for sale. 3100.00 no motor or tranny, tubbed, cage wheels and tires and no title. But I did fall in love. I remembered the nove from the kennel. My buddie and i stopped by and took another look. The owner had taken it in on trade for training a dog that the previous owner couldnt pay for. The kennel owner said he and his grandson had driven it down the road and it started smoking real bad so it was towed home and was left setting in the yard for the last 6 months or so. After looking it over we found a very solid body, decent set of champ 500 centerline wheels. new hust pro-matic shifter, new 2 1/2 duels dumped at the rear axel., 350 Holly aluminum intake and carb. You could tell someone had put a lil money into it recently. We boosted the battery and cranked the engine, I could here something wasnt right as it cranked. Of course it didnt start. The man came for 1500.00 to a 1000.00. I offered 800.00 and he took it. I was so excited to finally have found a new toy. My wife joked that it was one of the nicer cars I have drug home. LOL. So i sprayed it off and tried to find why it wouldnt start, Cranked and thats it. Pulled plug wire, No fire. Pulled cap, Rotor button not turning. Pulled valve cover, Number1 cylinder valves open and closed, but they were the only ones. Broke cam i suppose. Pulled intake, carb, distributor, everything off the front. Pulled chain cover , removed chain and pulled out about 4 inches of cam. front cam bearing scared up pretty bad. Thought I was lucky as everything was looking new inside and was clean as a pin. Pulled the heads and found new pistons. I was really excited thinking this had been a fresh build and I could reuse alot of the parts. Pulled the engine and found a hole in the pan. Dropped the pan and there was the rest of the story. first and second rod was wrung into. Crank trashed and everything else. rod bolts on the next two rods were finget tight. i guess whoever assembled the engine must have just been in a hurry. O well. Stripped the block took it to the shop, Just a small knick on the bottom of the number 1 cylinder. No other damage. So making sure everything is round as it was just bored .030 if so gonna take it .040. new cam bearings, deck the block, hot tanked, and notched for stroker crank. So a 383 it will be. As the title says im a nova virgin. im gonna have alot of questions, most have more than likely been answered before so I will do a search before asking. Hopefully I can get a few pics posted and I will be putting up a build in the 4th gen section. Any help and advice is and will be most appriciated. Thanks and hope to get to know everyone. i hopefully will get these pics up. Il post a couple of my old malibus from maliburacing.com and some of the new nova project.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts

MIKE

YOU'LL FIND AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF TALENT HER ON SNS, ENJOY THE RIDE! GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks to everyone. Hope to get going on the nova soon. Been tinkering with it a little when time allows. Just came from the Super Chevy show in Bristol and am a little disappointed that no 4th gen novas were in the show. About 4-5 in the drags but thats it. Oh well. Will be posting in the build thread sonn and am going to have alot of questions im sure so please be patient with me. Again thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Mike

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Welcome to the site. Lived 10 yrs. in Kingsport and worked at Sperry Univac right across the mountain from BMS. I miss it down there sometimes. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Welcome to the site and that's a good clean looking 4th Gen you got there. Good luck with the 383, I love mine.:yes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where to start?

One of the first questions is where do I start a buillding thread? 2nd is that I have went through 16 pages and cant find a for sure answer as to what manual steering box and pitman arm I need to change from power to manual.
33hitman33: Still in Kingsport? Hoping I and my son will be hitting the dragway come spring.
sbc1320: Thanks, never put a 383 together always non stroker stuff. They say they make impressive torque, just what I need!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts