Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 63 SS convertible and the 194 cubic inch engine had very little power. Then I took the air conditioner out of a 63 wagon and put in it. What I mistake. If I had to do it over it would at least have an engine and rearend up grade. I've got another 63 convertible that's 100% original. It needs a little work to be driven but I don't the heart to change it, so it's just setting under a shed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I bought my 63 ss hardtop off an auction site I had no idea how unbelivably nice it would be. There was minimal pictures and information and I admit I took a huge chance when I purchased it sight unseen. When I took delivery I realized this was a very special car. Original paint in almost perfect conditon. Original interior in almost perfect condition including original carpet. Detailed engine compartment and undercarraige. Numbers matching 194 CI 6 cylinder, power glide, original 4 lug 14 in wheels. Original alternator, water pump, distributor, Original glass and weather stripping. You name it and it's original. The car is a virtual time capsule. Information I got it was in heated storage 30 years. Odometer reads 40755 miles and I am inclined to believe the miles are true. My plans were to modify it but now I am hesitating as I had no idea how original and nice this car would be. I am still torn as what to do as time marches on..............I'm not getting any younger. LOL!

·
Registered
Brandon, MS
758 Posts
When I bought my 63 ss hardtop off an auction site I had no idea how unbelivably nice it would be. There was minimal pictures and information and I admit I took a huge chance when I purchased it sight unseen. When I took delivery I realized this was a very special car. Original paint in almost perfect conditon. Original interior in almost perfect condition including original carpet. Detailed engine compartment and undercarraige. Numbers matching 194 CI 6 cylinder, power glide, original 4 lug 14 in wheels. Original alternator, water pump, distributor, Original glass and weather stripping. You name it and it's original. The car is a virtual time capsule. Information I got it was in heated storage 30 years. Odometer reads 40755 miles and I am inclined to believe the miles are true. My plans were to modify it but now I am hesitating as I had no idea how original and nice this car would be. I am still torn as what to do as time marches on..............I'm not getting any younger. LOL!
This is one I would be inclined to leave original and find another, less “pure” car to “personalize”.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a 63 SS convertible and the 194 cubic inch engine had very little power. Then I took the air conditioner out of a 63 wagon and put in it. What I mistake. If I had to do it over it would at least have an engine and rearend up grade. I've got another 63 convertible that's 100% original. It needs a little work to be driven but I don't the heart to change it, so it's just setting under a shed.
People keep repeating this, but it's not really true. My car with 194, powerglide and AC is fine. It has no problem at all keeping up with traffic with the air on. I drive it everyday with no problems. It's not fast but it's no worse than your average new front wheel drive 4 cylinder car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To add fuel to the fire, I have a 65 SS without the original motor. The car is in the final stages of restoration with as many original 55 yr old parts as possible being reused. It isn't a concours car, isn't meant to be. But, its a hell of a nice driver. So, I've been thinking CBR R&P kit along w zero offset discs and upper arms. Is it taboo if you keep the original parts and don't change anything that can't be put back? Not to mention you can't see them without looking.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
What a great discussion --- there is no way I could chop my 1963 Nova SS Convertible as it is so original --- but in someways I have alrady done that by having a 1963 small block V8 in it. I think like some said previously, I would be more incline to buy another 1963 that wasnt so orginal and play with it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
So the 63 I am waiting on is an original SS car ......Purists say to keep original. But I would like to upgrade the drive train....brakes.... add power steering. power top....is this taboo?
Just my opinion, save the drivetrain and as long as you don't cut the car up any you can always return it back to original.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes my car is all original. 40K original miles. Original paint and interior. The plan for the car is something I have wanted to do for 35+ years. But I sold my original 1963 Nova SS hardtop to my younger brother because he needed a car as he was just out of high school. We are talking the early 80's here. Now that I have purchased another 1963 Nova SS hardtop I want to complete my original plan which was to do a dealer installed 250 HP 327 upgraded to a 340 HP 327 w/4speed tribute car using 100% period correct parts, many of which I have been collecting for years including an original very early dated 721 block. I will save all of the original 6 cyl. parts. I am waiting for some machine work to be done on my 721 block before I get started. When the block comes back and the motor is built I will make my decision as weather to complete the project using this totally original car.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts