Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wondered about something with my 1978 Nova Rally , it came equipped with every factory option available except for the rear quarter push out windows . Does anyone have a fully loaded Rally or maybe even heard of one . Are there any out there ? .

·
Registered
810 Posts
Those were really rare. My Mother had a 77 rally that had every option with the exception of a/c and the 350 engine. Hers didn't have the rear pop out windows either. I did see a 77 nova custom that had them like 15 years ago never did find the owner to ask questions about his car.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Agree there on the never-all-options-on-one-car thing.

My 77 Rally had ( well, still has but it's a parts car rusted out now :( ... anyways, Has the pop-out windows, 2 tone paint, 305 auto, A/C, the normal power steering,brakes, etc. F40 suspension ( no rear bar ), and no bucket seats.

we had a 76 SS that was a 250 straight six, 3 speed manual floorshift, buckets, 3.08 posi rear, full guages. and manual brakes.

I also parted out a 74SS six cyl car. so there's some wierd stuff out there.

Need to get some time and energy and get on my Medalist project, not been touched in a couple years due to job,family, move, etc... been home on recovery from a ruptured apendix, and play on line too much, lol... seeing all the great projects being done makes me wanna get back on it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
heres what I remember that was on my moms 77 rally nova 305 2bbl, posi rear axle,deluxe interior black perforated vinyl buckets, full gauges,console,radio delete, power steering varable ratio,disc brakes, f41 suspension,heavy duty cooling,tilt column,day night mirror,dual sport mirrors. That's what I can remember, It was odd that with all the options it was a radio delete car. It was pretty sharp silver with black stripes and black interior and Uniroyal white letter tires. It wasent very quick but it looked good!

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 77 Rally has the fold out windows. They work great when its hot out. Was not an A/A car. I have only seen one other car with those windows.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There were a lot of options available, I have had 14 4th gen cars and never saw one with all. Most had very few, which ones do you have?
I will list them when I'm with my build sheet Phil except away from home for another week . My Rally also has no vinyl roof option . I too have seen just a few 4th gen cars with swing out rear windows and they were all on the more heavily optioned Concours models .

·
Super Moderator
12,001 Posts
Mine was a 6 cylinder, bench seat car that had AC, power steering, power brakes and a th350 as installed optional equipment. It also had the optional bright trim around the doors and rear side glass.

I installed:
small block V8
manual transmission with floor shifter
8.5" posi rear
power windows
power door locks with remote entry
clock
tachometer
120 mph speedometer
full set of gauges
passenger door jamb switch
courtesy lights
glove box light
trunk light
electric trunk release (also works off the remote)
map light interior mirror
Rally mirrors
cruise control
tilt/telescopic steering column with headlight dimmer control
center console and power bucket seats
wood grain dash

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Mine was a 6 cylinder, bench seat car that had AC, power steering, power brakes and a th350 as installed optional equipment. It also had the optional bright trim around the doors and rear side glass.

I installed:
small block V8
manual transmission with floor shifter
8.5" posi rear
power windows
power door locks with remote entry
clock
tachometer
120 mph speedometer
full set of gauges
passenger door jamb switch
courtesy lights
glove box light
trunk light
electric trunk release (also works off the remote)
map light interior mirror
Rally mirrors
cruise control
tilt/telescopic steering column with headlight dimmer control
center console and power bucket seats
wood grain dash
So...... how many lesser optioned cars did you have to kill to make your (more or less) fully equipped Nova? :devil::D

·
Super Moderator
12,001 Posts
So...... how many lesser optioned cars did you have to kill to make your (more or less) fully equipped Nova? :devil::D
Well I killed about 14 of them but only the console, the passenger side dome light wiring, rear side window trim, clutch pedal/linkage and bucket seat mounts and tracks came from the parts cars. Power windows were purchased from Bruce Chase, wood grain dash from a member in CO (forgot his name) and most of the other stuff from various other GM cars. Those 14 other cars have their parts on 4th gen Nova's in 5 countries on 2 continents. I have been keeping the US Postal Service in the black for years :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
popout windows

I had a 77 nova hatchback that had the pop out rear quarter windows. This was a non AC car and I have a theory that they put these windows in Hatchback cars without AC unless you checked the box on the order form. Mine whistled when they were shut the seals weren't the same as stationary quarter windows.The seals weren't bad but they were mashed flat and the window would never seal completly.So I switched em for stationary windows and that fixed the noisy problem. It was kinda cool to ride around with them opened though. I did let the new owner have the pop out ones with the car however I don't think he ever put em back. The car went to Mathias Wva. White with tan interior and vette rallys and gold pin stripes Id like to have it back now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a 77 nova hatchback that had the pop out rear quarter windows. This was a non AC car and I have a theory that they put these windows in Hatchback cars without AC unless you checked the box on the order form. Mine whistled when they were shut the seals weren't the same as stationary quarter windows.The seals weren't bad but they were mashed flat and the window would never seal completly.So I switched em for stationary windows and that fixed the noisy problem. It was kinda cool to ride around with them opened though. I did let the new owner have the pop out ones with the car however I don't think he ever put em back. The car went to Mathias Wva. White with tan interior and vette rallys and gold pin stripes Id like to have it back now.
Sounds like the pop out windows not worth the extra money , especially if you had A/C . I guess that's why you never see many of them ? .
Since you removed yours for the stationary ones , how difficult would it be to go the other way , putting them in ? . Welding in the hinges to the B pillar only hard part ? . I don't know , just finding a parts car with all intact seals and in good condition difficult in itself . What do you think ? , forgettabout it or go for it ?.

·
Super Moderator
12,001 Posts
The pop out window hardware bolts on. All the holes that need drilled are marked with dimples. IMO not worth the effort, they can only be opened or closed from the back seat and usually leak do to the way the seals are positioned in the frame.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The pop out window hardware bolts on. All the holes that need drilled are marked with dimples. IMO not worth the effort, they can only be opened or closed from the back seat and usually leak do to the way the seals are positioned in the frame.
I agree with Philip, not worth the trouble to change from stationary to pop out windows. Not to mention finding them in a parts car next to impossable I would think. They completely bolted out, from what I remember, mine did leak but only when you sprayed directly at the window. They weren't in mine very long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Nova Rally option list

There were a lot of options available, I have had 14 4th gen cars and never saw one with all. Most had very few, which ones do you have?
I got my build sheet out and a lot of it is to smudged and impossible to read all but here is a few ;

DELUXE AIR CONDITIONING
TILT STEERING
POWER WINDOWS
POWER DOOR LOCKS
POWER BRAKES
POWER STEERING
ALL WINDOW TINT
ROOF DRIP RAILS
INTERMITTENT WIPERS
REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER
DAY/NIGHT MIRROR
REMOTE CONTROL OUTSIDE MIRROR