Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm in negotiations for a job in Richmond. If it works out, you'll see another one there next month. I lived in Richmond for two years before moving to NC. You should check this place out on Saturday night.

Saturday Nights - Hardee's Saturday Night Old Car Cruise-in Chester, VA, located at 1901 W. Hundred Rd. (Rt. 10 & I-95 Exit 61-A). Sponsored by Southern Knights Cruisers, Inc. and beginning April 4 thru September from 5:00 PM until? Everyone is welcomed to cruise in for Good Food, Good Music, Good Friends, Beautiful Classic Cars. Join us, for good family entertainment. Info: Larry Allen 804-530-2855 or John Ronkartz 804-520-4420 or John Newton 804-526-4267. Or check web site at www.southernknightscruisers.com
And two links for good measure...

http://iloveoldcars.com/events.html

http://carclubcouncil.com/cal.html

NPHNP:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks these are some good places right around me that I had no idea about. Probably will check them out real soon. Let me know who the job negotiations go.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Well, I'm in Richmond but not under the terms that I had hoped for. I accepted a job in Raleigh NC last September. I was promised 50+ hrs per week, a raise in 90 days, and insurance. During our time there, I was regularly sent home with substantially less that 40 hrs per week (and no one in my group got a raise). My wife and children were never covered under the insurance. We finally discovered a black mold problem, in the house we were renting, that was keeping us all sick. In short, our time in Raleigh was not a pleasent experience. Needless to say, this set me a on a quest for a better employment opportunity.
So, three weeks ago, I get a call from Richmond advising me that I had been hired for a contract position and I was told my starting date. It felt good to turn in my resignation and we were looking forward to regaining some stability and the peace of mind that accompanied it.
As I was driving the moving truck up to Richmond, I received a call on my cell advising me that corporate had cancelled the approval for the contract. So, for that last three weeks, I have been job hunting in Richmond. I'm here but I have two little ones in diapers and no income. That means you will not be seeing me at any carshows or cruise-ins until there is a major change. My children will always take priority over any car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm just Northeast of Richmond, in Louisa County. You really don't see many Novas running around here. When I saw the one I just bought for sale, I couldn't pass it up!

There is a HUGE cruise-in out this way in Orange every third Saturday from 6-10pm. Last time there was 200 cars there.

tpinovaII, I'm really sorry to hear about your job situation. What kind of work do you do?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
What kind of work do you do?
I've worn many hats over the years. My dad always worked an eight hour job and did side jobs in the evenings. Instead on an allowance, he would pay my brothers and I by the hour to help him. I grew up doing plumbing, wiring, appliance repair, and refrigeration. I wired my first house solo at 12 yrs old (It passed inspection). Managed to fit in alot of framing, roofing, & drywall experience over the years also (Still hate drywall. I do nice work with it though).

I've worked as a Automotive Technican at GM Dealerships and independent shops (including one hotrod shop). I even worked on police cars (and undercover narcotics cars) for a while. Spent quite a few hours on the side wrenching on old cars/racecars too.:rolleyes:

I have worked in Industrial Maintenance (Troubleshooting Electric Motors & Controllers. Programming/Troubleshooting PLCs. Troubleshooting with Schematic Diagrams. Machining with an Engine Lathe & Milling Machine (Manual or Anilam. No CNC experience.) Reading/Drafting Machinist Blueprints. Hydraulics & Pneumatics Maintenance/Troubleshooting. Welding with MIG, TIG, Arc, Plasma Arc, and Gas. Machine Maintenance, Setup, Repair, & Upgrades) .

I had an on-again/off-again career in Telecommunications working as a Premise Technican, Communications Technican, & Network Engineer (Coordinated troubleshooting on domestic & international from the Network Operations Center (DS0, T1, T3, SONET). Worked with both WANs & LANs. Installations/repair at the customer premise. Worked with local telcos around the country as well as daily interaction with the end user).

At this point, I'm just really wanting to get some income going to make sure we keep formula & diapers on hand. I've even applied at Lowe's & Home Depot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you want to stay in the Richmond area or would you consider C'ville? I have a friend out this way working as a test engineer in C'ville. He has mentioned openings there in the past...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Do you want to stay in the Richmond area or would you consider C'ville? I have a friend out this way working as a test engineer in C'ville. He has mentioned openings there in the past...
I'm open to discussing any job opportunities. I have no problems with Charlottesville. My wife's grandparents live in Afton. My wife would definitely be pleased with the idea of moving back to that area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow man.. sorry to hear that, tpi... I wish you all the luck in finding something soon!

Answering to the OP, I just got a 1963 Nova (Chevy II).... pretty rough shape cosmetically, runs and drives tho... lots of work to be done to it.. needs both quarters, very minor rust on left fender and top of right fender.. Also floor and trunk pans..

Interior is supportive, but faded... car has sit under the weather for about 15 years...

I am in the other side of the mountain tho... Harrisonburg... but if anyone has any info on parts or a junker available somewhere, PLEASE, let me know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm right up the 95 in Woodbridge, VA.

Have a '74 Nova Custom Coupe.
Don't and won't see too many Nova's (or any other classic) in Northern VA until the mid spring, once the salt is washed off the roads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chevy II in Louisa

Just got my '64 back after almost 2 years of resto-mods. As soon as the weather breaks, we'll be cruising the highways

1 - 14 of 14 Posts