Chevy Nova Forum banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
This is your shop?...wow I am bringing my project there to work on it...nice. Thanks again on the fixture, if I ever get the floor out I will have to borrow your idea there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #223 (Edited)
This is your shop?...wow I am bringing my project there to work on it...nice. Thanks again on the fixture, if I ever get the floor out I will have to borrow your idea there.
No, Its my in-laws (next door), but he passed away and she retired to the lake. I run their business now and take care of all their rental properties, so I get to use it. He could do anything. He built 2 helicopters of the three he built in there. Maybe I have my picture posting figured out....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #225 (Edited)
Making progress on the CBR TRI-4 LINK. Its pretty straight forward. I wouldn't say it's easy, but It's better fitting and easier than anything else I've done except the front CBR. My car is a little different because of the inability to have it on its suspension during the install(didn't have a factory suspension). Chuck JR and SR's advice was spot on and I did fine until I started cutting out the home made subframe connectors. The quarter got a wave between the rear wheel and the door on both sides which you can see in the last pic. Wont come out without major work. Can be done, but not without painting the car that I can tell. I've been shrinking and working out the passenger side for a couple of sessions, and Ive almost got it. None of this is the fault of CBR by the way...I WAS WARNED. It'll all be good when finished. Anyway, here are a few pics of my version of an install. CBR rear conversion(new generation), and Quickperformance 55" wide 9" and Disc brake setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Okay I need to ask...what happened during the install? I am also looking at the CBR rear end but am missing why your quarterpanels are wrinkled. Is it how the car was braced? I thought that their install would be pretty straightforward so what do you figure happened? Hopefully you can get it back to the previous condition soon.

Oh yeah those rims are very nice selection as well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Okay I need to ask...what happened during the install? I am also looking at the CBR rear end but am missing why your quarterpanels are wrinkled. Is it how the car was braced? I thought that their install would be pretty straightforward so what do you figure happened? Hopefully you can get it back to the previous condition soon.

Oh yeah those rims are very nice selection as well.
Long story short, yes like everyone says, you have to have the weight of the car distributed on the suspension as it would be with the drivetrain and engine in it. This, for guys like you and me is somewhat more difficult because we don't have any of those things. I talked to the whole Church team for quite a while in Columbus and even looked at their green car, so I knew what needed to be done, but didn't know quite how. I will say it is not enough to make sure your doors open and close the way they did before. Mine worked perfect through the whole thing and still do. Chuck told me you can't get the wave out, but it is possible. The crappy thing is you gotta shrink the panel which involves taking off paint, a torch, and or shrinking disk. I'm getting there, but it's real work and as far as I can tell, there will be a major repaint involved. At least mine is just a work in progress. The car would have to be supported at the front tire, the torque box by the front spring hanger, and the shackle mount while the frame braces are welded in to place (I guess). Anyway, I want to emphasize that ZERO of this should reflect on CBR. It's great stuff. It's just not a newbie job to install if you don't have the car up on the suspension with the ending/trans in it, and I'm a newbie. My Nova was actually in great shape until I removed my home made subframe connectors (no buckled panels) but that changed an I missed it when the connectors were cut out. Sux, but live and learn. My dad always told me (right before I had to pay the piper), "Boy, if you can't listen, you can feel...". This don't feel too good, but thats the good thing about metal, you can always fix it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wow, well I have learned a lot reading this. Yes I have some of the major pieces but did not know that it had to be on its suspension during mock up and initial tacking. I had plans of putting this on when I tackle the rear of the car. Glad I kept original suspension now.

Buddy I am sure sorry you have all this additional work to do but what a lesson learned.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Wow, well I have learned a lot reading this. Yes I have some of the major pieces but did not know that it had to be on its suspension during mock up and initial tacking. I had plans of putting this on when I tackle the rear of the car. Glad I kept original suspension now.

Buddy I am sure sorry you have all this additional work to do but what a lesson learned.
I think you would be ok if its supported at the torque boxes, rear shackles and front suspension, but obviously I'm no expert. Keep up the faith and good work...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #231 (Edited)
Woo Hoo! Heard the rumble. My nova has started and moved under its own power!!!! Still have a pile of details to button up before the first drive, but wow what a milestone. I know...I know. Pics and video to come.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Here's a pic of my engine compartment and a clip of me pulling it on to the trailer after exhaust and power steering lines.

IMG_4370.JPG

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Well carp! I can't get the video to be less than 20 megs. Ill let my nephew fix it and put it on later. Haven't seen anything from you in a while. Doing ok? Hows the project?

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Glad to hear your are still eating that elephant. Must feel awesome to finally get to fire it up.

221 - 235 of 235 Posts