Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting around to starting a thread about my build. I found a basket case 64 SS on CL. It was only about half there: no drive train, no front seats, no bumpers, too wide 2.74 open ten-bolt, but I said I wanted a project to learn on.... I've done other cars when I was a kid (high school and college), but this will be the first one with no "make-due". Planning on some type of LS and 4L60E, 3.73 posi, 17" wheels, IFS bolt on front end (sorry Chuck, I just don't like the shock towers), some sort of red paint (decisions, decisions), and black leather inside. Needless to say, this will be on a can afford schedule.

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/awsheets/media/IMG_20140322_140702_070_zps15c465ca.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0

So far, I have replaced the full floor pan (almost full, you'll see later), right quarter, and fabricated toe boards. It has been a pretty extensive clean-up process being that it was stored outside with no glass in it. Lots of rust to treat, remove, and repair. That said, it is fairly solid, but wouldn't have been for long. The front fenders are ok, but I decided to go with new ones b/c I found them at a bargain from a guy close to me (no shipping). The doors have been disassembled and will need a few new window parts. Still have to strip the rest of the doors, hood, top, and underneath the trunk lid. Seems like every time I start to see progress, I have to take two more things apart. You can check out the other pics on my "bucket" to see some of what I'm talking about.

I can't begin to thank everyone here for sharing. It is truly inspiring and a great learning experience to go through this with others....now that I'm not lurking. Looking forward to letting everyone see the progress as my computer skills improve with the car.

p.s.
It was also very cool to run across fellow members at the Hot Rod Nats in Kentucky.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
You have a nice starting point with that 64 :yes: looks like you have a good game plan for it also. Please keep those pictures coming because I look forward to see what direction you will go :turn:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Looking good

Got a great start going there. Keep up the good work. Might want to consider sliding those wheelwells in a bit while you are at it. Put an LS in there she might need a bit more tire.

Here's a link to my current project Ugly Betty;

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k632/cooperhw/th_My67Novavideo_zpsa12734c3.mp4[/IMG][/URL]

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear shock plates

Any advise about where I can find a set of stock rear, lower shock plates? Mine are gone. Will the 67 camero ones work? I see repo's of them on ebay.
thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops

I just noticed that my build thread needs to be somewhere else. Sorry, I will continue this elsewhere as soon as I figure it out. Projects I hope.....?

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
It was great to get to visit with you at the Street Rod Nationals and talk about our Novas.It looks like you have made some real progress and your work looks first class.I can tell you from experience that all of the hard work will be worth it in the end when you get to drive it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
looks good !!!! i've done almost the exact same repairs on my convertible . floors , trunk , trunk drop offs , passenger quarter.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
progress pics to follow

I removed the windows and door latch hardware, then I took the doors off to rebuild the hinges. Three did fine, but one upper was wallowed out so much that new bushings still didn't help. I may look for a used one at my new buddy's place in the hills or just buy a new one. Just want them tight before I start my driver 1/4. while I have the doors off, I'm also stripping, rust treating, and sealing the inside. I'll post pics later today. Gotta get ready for Church. Burning the note today.:D PTL

·
Registered
2,968 Posts

Thought I'd show a few here for ya:yes: If you left click on "IMG" it will say "Copied" and you can then paste it here. That easy :D

Floor looks great! Lots of work but keep your eye on the light at the end of the tunnel!

Todd

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Dash

Maybe I'm getting the hang of posting. Here are before and after of my dash. Its only in primer now but I completely stripped it too with a poly carbonate stripping wheel on my grinder and a smaller one in my drill.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Looking Good!

Great work on your project so far..
I had to laugh when I saw your quote"SUPPOSED NEW FLOORS"
I heard the same line when I bought my 67 sedan. And then when I saw the pix of the mucked up toe boards, I thought "Holy Cow, that is my cars floor boards"
Whoever owned my 67 previously , did the EXACT SAME butchery to the floor & toe boards.

Keep posting your progress..She is looking GOOD!!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hotrodguy-Thanks! I'm loving the work even though I find something else screwed up at every turn...I may pull out my not-so-much-left hair trying to post pics. I'm much better in front of a classroom or in the shop than at a keyboard, but life is a learning process. I also stripped what was left of the roof liner off today with a cup wheel. I looked like an old ethnic cartoon when I came in. :yes:

·
Registered
799 Posts
I totally understand the "better in the shop, than a key board" As I am the same way.
I have subbed to your thread.
I need to post my build thread I guess. Not sure if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally progress.

School starting has slowed me down a lot. Started a new position in the district and it is always a long process setting up shop and getting established. Now for the important stuff.
1. Got all my door hinges rebuilt. They turned out nice and tight :)
2. finished the stripping and welding/grinding on my driver door, and rehung it.
3. Smoothed the exterior seams on the toe boards and fire wall. used a propane torch and putty knife to strip the undercoating. Primed it too.
Ready to remove the driver quarter.
4. removed the front clip to do #3
saving for a ifs.
Pics to come soon.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Making good progress on your build. Can you post some additional pics of where the lower part of the quarter panel contacts the rocker? As well as where the quarter panel meets the sail panel? I am getting ready to go at replacing rockers, but want to know what the insides look like as I cut. Much appreciated

1 - 20 of 235 Posts