Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally! my cousin sent me a couple of pix! too bad they arent that great of pix. the car is buried under lots and lots of stuff in a barn, so thats why it's so hard to uncover. but here she is in all her glories :)

yes the color is that olive-green you all know oh-so very well. he says that the engine is a straight6 with a broken engine block, so if oil is poured in, it just leaks out :confused: and the brakes are destroyed :confused: that's all the information i have now.

can any1 confirm if this in fact a 1969 2door? thanks :D

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
The "CHEVY II" emblem on the hood would indicate a 68; not a 69. Get the VIN numbers off the dash and off the cowl tag and run the numbers at the www.novaresource.com site. The color is Grecian Green; mine was that color when it was new.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Atlantis said:
finally! my cousin sent me a couple of pix! too bad they arent that great of pix. the car is buried under lots and lots of stuff in a barn, so thats why it's so hard to uncover. but here she is in all her glories :)

yes the color is that olive-green you all know oh-so very well. he says that the engine is a straight6 with a broken engine block, so if oil is poured in, it just leaks out :confused: and the brakes are destroyed :confused: that's all the information i have now.

can any1 confirm if this in fact a 1969 2door? thanks :D
Is this person a real cousin of your?( some people call their friends their cousins,)I know alot of scams are coming out of romainia....Just be careful.The other thing is you're gonna pay big dollars to get a non running nova to Canada.I would say in the $3000 range by ship...maybe more since its non running.bm

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, this is absolutely not a scam. my cousin is a real cousin. he's one of my 1st cousins, and the uncle is a real uncle. the reason i am not getting any good shots is because the car is stowed away in a barn buried under loads of crap, so this way nobody will know that the car is there, so no1 will steal it. it's no where near a scam, but as i stated earlier, the engine is broke and the breaks are destroyed. can any of you guys figure out anything else from these pix? maybe the orientation of the side front window pillars? front bumper? grill? it is really hard to get information on this car from my cousin because he has a very hard time getting the information himself, so the process is going very slow. i will try to get him to find out the VIN numbers, but i only think he will be able to get the vin number from the dash, not the one under the hood.

Hope to get more updates soon!!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Atlantis: What's the story on the Nova? How did it get to Romania and when can you get it into your garage? :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I asked my dad about this car's history, and here's basically what he told me:

The owner is a relative of one of my aunts. He had relatives in Ohio, which now live in California. Back in 1968 or 69, he visited them in Ohio, and as a gift, they bought him the Nova. He shipped it back home to Romania, and that is how it got to where it is today. My dad told me about how when he was in grade 10 in high school, he rode in it on road trips with friends and family on camping adventures and what ever else people did back in the days :) . One unfortunate day, somebody accidentally backed up/bumped into the Nova, and dented one of the front fenders around the wheel. So what my relative did was he took a trip back to America, purchased a new fender, and brought it all the way back home to Romania so he can replace the damaged part with a fresh one (i guess this can point you in the right direction that this guy cared about his Nova, probably the only one in Europe?). I dont know when, his eye sight has gone bad and he cannot drive anymore. He stored the car away in a barn under loads and loads of crap/whatever is in his barn, so nobody would know there is a Gem in his garage (surely it would be stolen, there are lots of thieves around in Romania). I don't know how long the car has been stored in the barn for, but my dad is guessing possibly it was stored in the barn for the past 5 years or so.

That's basically the story behind the car. My cousin emailed me telling me some information about the vehicle, and he said the engine is "broken" where if you pour oil in, it just drips out. He also said the brakes are "destroyed" :confused: . I have no idea what happened with the engine and brakes, but thats not my main focus, what i mainly care about is the chassis/body, because a V8 engine swap would be a must, and i do not think i would trust 38year old drum brakes.

I am still requesting more information from my cousin, so i will update as soon as i get the info.

so as we know so far, the car is 1968 (as we assume from the ChevyII on the grill).
it has an inline 6 (broken)
also, my cousin said it has 6 seats, so that means bench in the front.

can any1 figure out any more information from what we know so far?

also, i would need some major help regarding shipping. i don't know anything about shipping vehicles overseas, so if anybody could englighten me with pointing me in the right direction, i would be most greatful. Maybe guesstimate me some quotes as to how much it would cost to ship it?
(i live in Windsor, Ontario...right across the river from Detroit, MI)

He said he will sell it to us for 1,500Euros, but my dad is certain he can get it down to $1,000US. I will have to get some good pix of the car and see the condition of it myself when i visit Romania in the summer. I need to find out if the car is in good enough condition to pay $1,000+$3,000 or so for shipping.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
My guess is its gonna cost you minimum $3000usd probably more like $4000-$5000usd because its in non running condition.(this is your biggest problem...it will have to be towed to a major port and pushed into a container...shipped to ny or boston...put on a train to windsor and then towed to your house...It may not be worth it)I'm having my nova shipped 1200 miles and its gonna cost me $1500.There are lots of shippers online.Here's one to start with...good luck
http://www.shipoverseas.com/

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
You can probably get a cheaper starter car in the US. It's just a basic six cylinder, powerglide bench seat beater. The 68's are cool though.

Kev

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what do you guys know regarding Novas being stored inside a barn for years? will it deteriorate from moisture, will rust form quickly, etc...? My friend keeps telling me that if it just sits there for such a long time it's gonna start collecting rust and it's gonna be a sloppy mess where lots of parts are gonna have to be replaced :confused:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Atlantis said:
what do you guys know regarding Novas being stored inside a barn for years? will it deteriorate from moisture, will rust form quickly, etc...? My friend keeps telling me that if it just sits there for such a long time it's gonna start collecting rust and it's gonna be a sloppy mess where lots of parts are gonna have to be replaced :confused:
I have to agree with your friend.I would get some really good pictures and info before you decide on anything

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Hey Atlantis ??? i'm wondering if it'll be worth it to you... IF you can get it for $1000.00us... IF on low side it cost $3000.00us to ship. that's a $4000.00 car needing engine and brakes and whatever else... what about finding one for $4000.00 closer ta home that's maybe in better shape for you to start with ???

or is it the family ties to the car that makes it have additional value to you ???, which is understandable...

just wondering, that's all... i wish you the best ;)

Johnny (wow all that adding's made me tired) ;) :D :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the history of the car adds to it and makes it much more appealing to me than just some random car i would find for sale, but i understand what you mean. I shouldn't keep my options closed about Novas (or possibly something else) in Canada or USA. The only thing that's screwing me over is the whole shipping thing, i would assume $1,000 for the car would be good provided that it is in the condition i imagine it to be.

What else do i have to know about importing a car from overseas? do i gotta pay tariffs for it? or do i not, since the car is originally from USA and it's just coming back home from a long vacation to europe? :D what would the "registration" process be like?

everything seems like such a hassle about it, and that really discourages me.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
my advice would be to keep the dream alive and stay positive... do checking at the DMV, Customs... check out the shipping situation and get the info that'll tell you whether or not this is gonna fly... communications about the car are as you know, important also... yer gonna have ta get it uncovered enough for ya ta get REAL good shots of it so you'll know if the Dmv, Customs and the other stuff is even gonna be something you want to pursue... you need ta know exactly what condition the car is... so far, how much do you actually know "for sure" ???

you'll need more info... you know this ;)

best wishes :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am going to see the car in person during the summer, that's what i'm looking forward to.

what should i look for when inspecting the vehicle? what are the weak spots or major areas of problem i would encounter?

what exactly tells me "this car with no engine or brakes is worth buying and shipping"

how much rust is "tolerable" for this situation?

there's so many things i want to know, and some many questions unanswered about this vehicle :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
you will need to call customs and tell them your plans and they should be able to tell you what will be required for that car to be allowed into Canada. Luckly its a '68 and there was very little in the way of emissions and safety equipment required back then...actually if you look online you will be able to find much of the information there..there is also a list of cars that are allowed and are not allowed to be imported into Canada...BUT a call to Customs is a must...you dont want to get the car to Canada and find out you cannot bring it in because of some stupid technicality...Plus they should be able to tell you what duties(if any) and taxes(GST forsure) you will have to pay.

Now when/if you go and look at it...The rear frame area near the shackles are known rust prone areas...if it is bad you would need to find a donar car for the parts as they are not repoped....HOWEVER if being original isnt important some companies do make direct fit rear frame rails that are stronger then the original ones...

Also check all of the areas around the frame mounts and body mounts...rust in theses areas will be expensive to repair...and I'm not sure all the parts are avialable....(might require a donar car)

Check the floors, rust in the cowl area, rust around the roof pillers, rusted roof (not available except from a donar car), the bottom of the fenders,,,the list goes on and on...

The more rust there is the more this car will cost you in the end...and then add that into the cost of shipping and well it could be, in the end, very expensive to get this car....not saying you shouldnt get it...BUT just be aware that if extensive body repairs have to be made you might be way farther ahead finding a local car...the 3K or so that shipping will cost could be used for better things like rebuilding a different car or for buying a car in better shape...if when you go to see it the car turns out to be in way worse shape then was described to you....Dont be afraid NOT to buy it....at least you had a nice trip to Romania.:)

Good Luck

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ok guys, after seeing as to all this business i have to take take care of before i can even get the car in my garage, i am getting very discouraged about it. I understand how i will most likely pay +$5,000 just for getting the car into my garage. I do agree that this $5,000 can be put to more use if i seek a car in the country :eek: this is all too confusing for me at the moment, it's kind of like being bomboarded with an overload of information.

just some questions to throw around:

1. how much would a Chevy 350 engine cost (with carb and everything else)
2. how much would a 4 wheel disk brake system cost?
3. how much does a paint job cost, on average, at an auto shop?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I got my 68 for under $800 US. Motor 4 bolt main under $300 US (ran but needed rebuild.) Disk breaks for under $700 US and paint some day:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
1.turnkey 350 $3000 for the Cheapy..Dont forget about the tranny..Thats another $1500
2.4 wheel disc brakes $700-$1000
3.Paint $2000 for an ok paintjob(minimal rust)$4000 and up with lots of rust.Bodywork is very expensive

1 - 20 of 24 Posts