Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking this around for awhile and finally bought the bullet. Repo Headrests for my 66 SS. I had these on one of my other 66's and really do like the look...... The question and joke is no Chinese instructions..........Has anyone tried to mount these before. I don't mind making my own template, but do not want to mess up my stock back seat panels, so proceeding with caution...

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Ross

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I have an orig headrest car and seen the instructions somewhere in chassis repair manual or assembly manual butt before you butcher it ask me an i will take you some pics with the seatback removed, im just covered up right now with other things

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
nova headrest mounts

these are factory original headrests mounts , my little ss used to belong to one of my high school( woman) teachers and she is still alive ive been tryin to get her to take a ride in her old car. if you need more just ask

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Ross,

Where did you get the headrests from? Did they come with all of that mounting hardware? Or was the hardware a separate purchase?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BadBoy

The headrests came from Lutty's Chev. they carry some good oddball stuff. Fast tech support and quick shipping. The headrests are for 66-67 (010052) $159.00 for a pair... the mounting kit complete (010053) $79.00 complete set.... If you buy them together (010054) $219.00. so you save the $20 with the kit.

My opinion brackets are made well sliders are good, outside vinyl good, the vinyl that hooks and is hidden by the seat which will never be seen could use a little work.

Hope this helps, remember they are chinese repo's

Hope you like the look 2 I have never seen them on a build sheet...

·
13,711 Posts
The headrests came from Lutty's Chev. I have never seen them on a build sheet...
Ross, those headrests are going to look great in your car. Below is a pic of original headrests in my Canadian built L79 which was also a Lemonwood Yellow car. Don't know about them appearing on U.S. build sheets, but they do appear on GM Canada documentation for cars built in Canada. Mine were listed as factory RPO A81. The A81 also appeared on the cowl tag along with L79 and M20.

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Bob,

I love the way those look!!!! Are those the same headrests that would have been used in later year Chevelles, GTO, etc? Like (just to say) a 71 Chevelle? I'm not sure, but the ones you guys have in the pics look a bit steeper than the ones I remember seeing in later Chevelles and stuff. Are they the same? or different?

Basically wondering if I could use a set from a later model Chevelle (or other car) on my 67 seats? I'm not concerned if my 67 seats came originally with headrests, I'm just concerned about them having the correct headrests on them so they appear correct (if that makes sense).

EDIT:

See in the pic below, I'm almost certain these are different:

·
13,711 Posts
Bob,
Are those the same headrests that would have been used in later year Chevelles, GTO, etc? Like (just to say) a 71 Chevelle? I'm not sure, but the ones you guys have in the pics look a bit steeper than the ones I remember seeing in later Chevelles and stuff. Are they the same? or different?
I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the 66/67 Chevy II headrests are different than later year Chevelles.

Bob

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Headrests

Bob,

The pic of your headrests and interior are outstanding. I've mentioned before that I owned a 66 SS with stock headrests. To me in all 66-67's they look outstanding and have had some PM'S about how people like the look. I took the back panels off took loose the hog rings and found for alignment purposes the sheet metal screw holes were there. Just waiting to make the cut of my vinyl seats. Might just have to get drunk and do it. Hesitation I do not want to recover these seats again.

Here is a pic of my cowl tag do not see a lot of add on's

Thanks,
Ross

·
13,711 Posts
Bob,

The pic of your headrests and interior are outstanding. I've mentioned before that I owned a 66 SS with stock headrests. To me in all 66-67's they look outstanding and have had some PM'S about how people like the look. I took the back panels off took loose the hog rings and found for alignment purposes the sheet metal screw holes were there. Just waiting to make the cut of my vinyl seats. Might just have to get drunk and do it. Hesitation I do not want to recover these seats again.
Here is a pic of my cowl tag do not see a lot of add on's
Thanks,
Ross
Ross, regardng the cowl tag, Canadian tags had a different format than those in the U.S. They used the actual RPO numbers on the ACC line rather than 'codes for codes.' Same as the U.S. tags, there was no consistency as to what they put on them in terms of options. I know of only one other Canadian L79 that had the engine code on the tag. Here's a pic of mine. I hilited the info on the pic with a pen because it can't be read otherwise.
Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Looks good to me Ross as long as when you put the seat-back cover on its all hid I cant see a problem the front view looks real good to me

·
Registered
338 Posts
The 1966-67 Nova headrests were larger, longer foam design than those used on later 1968-72 GM models. Like I was telling 66nogo2 in his post about headrests today, same thing!:yes:

Anyway, for some good research on subject, look at this link:

http://www.camaros.org/headrest.shtml

The 1966-67 Nova shared this with 1967 Camaro/Firebird and 1966-67 Corvair. The Chevelle, GTO and full-size GM cars used a totally different designed headrest.:D

Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts