Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I made a bit of a discovery. I picked up some Nova bucket seat frames a few months ago and just got around to dropping them at my upholsterer to get them done. I also had a set of Impala seats that I was taking in to him. I picked these Impala seats years ago from a guy who had a convertible Nova and he claimed they were Nova bucket seats but the seat tracks told a different story as did the pattern on the vinyl covers. The Impala seats were pretty rough a lot of moisture got into them and the frames were pretty rough. They also had chrome trim that wrapped around the seat back. Which is also appropriate for Impalas. So here is where it gets interesting.. This is the first time I had the two seats Nova and Impala together side by side to compare and the discovery I made was that the seats are nearly identical.. The seat bases are the same non symmetrical meaning there is a driver and a passenger seat that are not interchangeable right and left.. The only other real difference to note was that the Impala seats have some extra tabs on the seat backs to mount the extra trim pieces.
I know that Nova bucket seats have been a subject that comes up here regularly and that the prevailing thought was that Nova bucket seats were unique to Nova only but as of today I want to say that the truth is that the main structural frame of the seat is the same as the Impala with the exception of some extra tabs for the Impala trim pieces.. So there you have it..

The first pic is the Nova seat base the second pic is the entire Impala seat frame. Notice that the contour of the two seat bases are identical.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
its sure going to take some hard work to make those seats look new. as for the left an right seat, i thought of buckets in a 67 nova that are a right an left with the latches to keep them from folding forward. i've seen some buckets in GTO's that look alot like a nova seat. i'm sure the track would be different an never measured to seats for a difference. you'll have to post some finished pictures of those seats when your done.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info good to know It opens up my options when I start looking for seats They say corvair bucket seats are the same also.
Corvair seats are not the same as tha Nova/Impala seats. Chevelle/Corvair seats share the same frames. They fold straight forwards not on an angle and the bases are symmetrical and flat around the bottom edge. They can be used in the driver or passenger position as the tracks are what make them driver and passenger seat.. The Nova/Impala seats fold forwards on an angle and the inboard side of the seat bases contour up to clear the trans tunnel and console.. Therefore making them side specific..

Corvair/Chevelle seats can be fitted into a Nova but it will be a tight fit with a center console. I have done it..

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Corvair seats are not the same as tha Nova/Impala seats. Chevelle/Corvair seats share the same frames. They fold straight forwards not on an angle and the bases are symmetrical and flat around the bottom edge. They can be used in the driver or passenger position as the tracks are what make them driver and passenger seat.. The Nova/Impala seats fold forwards on an angle and the inboard side of the seat bases contour up to clear the trans tunnel and console.. Therefore making them side specific..

Corvair/Chevelle seats can be fitted into a Nova but it will be a tight fit with a center console. I have done it.
I put Corvair seats in my Convertible. Yes, they fold straight forward, but thats what I wanted, plus I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them. They were reupholstered with 'correct' Nova seat covers, and some work was done to the tracks, but now they look OEM.

My question is about the center console?.. Did you find something that will fit between the bucket seats?.. Besides the SS chrome factory console? (My Convertible is not a SS).

Pics would be great if you have them. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put Corvair seats in my Convertible. Yes, they fold straight forward, but thats what I wanted, plus I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them. They were reupholstered with 'correct' Nova seat covers, and some work was done to the tracks, but now they look OEM.

My question is about the center console?.. Did you find something that will fit between the bucket seats?.. Besides the SS chrome factory console? (My Convertible is not a SS).

Pics would be great if you have them.
Thank you.
I modified the Corvair tracks to work in my Nova SS car. I had to finess the seat position a little bit to make sure the seats cleared the SS console and had no interference with the seat. Unfortunately, this was a few years back and I did not document the project with photos. I’ll see If I can arrange something to show the fitment I was able to achieve..

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have mentioned in other threads that more common readily available floor tracks can be modified to fit Nova’s unique inboard mounting location. I wanted to show how I resolved this problem with a set of Corvair tracks.. When I made these prototypes about 6 years ago I did not have any Nova tracks to go off of for dimensions.. A clean Nova floor, tape measure, level, a full set of Corvair floor tracks, and some Sharpies..

Now I have a car my Blue 64ss that came with the proper seats and tracks and something to compare what I came up with against what actually came in these cars. My point here is to help others that have the same problem I had. No reproduction tracks are made for the SS or hardtops that originally came with bucket seats and finding original replacements is not easy either. Making your own is what you might have to do.. I present this as an option and a solution that is subject to revision. As the development process goes, you make a part and test fit it then see what works and what needs to change to make it a better. This puts ideas in the air and bring on new ideas to mind..

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
THanks for posting that last pic Joe. It really helps see how it mounts to the floor. Hopefully I get my drivers side back this week to see what I’m up against with my tracks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I got back my driver side seat. They weren’t able to use the foams I ordered from Classic Ind. causing The PUI cover to not fit properly. They had to make their own foams, but they still turned out great.....despite the fact I have no idea what car my seats are out of.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don’t think the C-clip is in the right spot. I’ll check one of my seats and get back to you.

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's good to know. Looking at a set of impala seats. There angled and have the chrome over top. Have you put a 62-64 nova cover on an impala seat?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I have not put Nova covers on Impala seats but there shouldn’t be a problem doing so. The frames are largely the same.. The Impala seats have more tabs for the additional trim pieces..

The floor tracks are totally different..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am trying to understand this, I have a 63 SS and am needing borh seat tracks for the passenger side. I know the inner track is shorter and specific to the Nova but will the Impala outer track work or not as far as a bolt on option for the seat? I can deal with drilling new holes but obviously I want something that is the right height and dimensions etc...

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I’ve made a bit of a discovery on this subject again.. I had a set of seat reupholstered recently and as I am detail oriented I wanted to refinish my factory Nova seat tracks to match the newly upholstered seats. So I swapped the tracks I made a few years ago on to my old Nova seats in my 64 and set them in place in my car and was a bit confused that the seat was way too low on the inner track at the trans tunnel. I didn’t worry about it too much as it was only a temporary situation to be able to drive the car while I get the Nova tracks cleaned up and painted.. I knew that the Corvair tracks I modified years ago seemed to fit fine with the Corvair seats at the time when I made them but I also noticed that the tracks I modified were a little shorter in height then the actual Nova tracks. When I measured them the difference was 3/4” lower then the Nova tracks.. I didn’t really spend too much time thinking about this, I just figured that I had set my modified tracks height using a level and some guestimation.. They were made without a Nova track to get any dimensions from so the difference in height didn’t seem too shocking as I was flying blind so to speak.. This week I’m putting my new seats in and pulling out the old ones and I realize why the difference in elevation was so dramatic.. The Nova/Impala seat base is offset where the inner seat tracks are positioned.. In other words, the outside seat track is mounted lower relative to the seat base perimeter which is basically the same mounting elevation/position as many other GM bucket seats like A bodies and Corvairs. The inner track mounting position is positioned higher then the outer by approximately 3/4”. Since I modified my tracks to fit a non-offset Corvair seat base into a Nova the elevation was correct for the type of seat I used. However, the calculation would be far more difficult trying to account for the the offset Nova/impala seat base.. Fortunately, I’ve stumbled onto the differences accidentally and realized the dimensional proportions as they relate to seat height position..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My seats have been completed and installed for a few months now so I’m just following up with the post with some pics of the seats..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Continuing with the update and some other interior work. I’m also making an aluminum package tray and bulkhead cover.. I’m considering making aluminum interior panels for the kick panel, door panel, and rear passenger side panels. They will have a brushed metal finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
thats pretty fine to take those ruff buckets an look like they do mounted in the nova. good job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts