Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Middle of installing whole new harness for whole car and notest a leak .. coming from the turbo 400.. any ideas what that could be..v

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My guess is the rear seal of the trans is leaking. But that could be caused by many thing. The seal could just be old, but the yoke may have a groove worn in it, or the tail shaft bushing is loose allowing the yoke to wobble around and wear the seal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is the rear seal of the trans is leaking. But that could be caused by many thing. The seal could just be old, but the yoke may have a groove worn in it, or the tail shaft bushing is loose allowing the yoke to wobble around and wear the seal.
what's the next step your recon?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I cannot see the pic. But I do know that auto trans will piss fluid after not being used for a while.
I can't see the picture either but as LS said the converter will drain back into the trans if the engine has not run in a while.
Typically, the then over-filled pan/trans leaks around the trans dipstick tube seal.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,484 Posts
I agree with the others that the rear seal that is located in the transmission's tail shaft housing is probably causing the fluid leak.
As bracketchev70 suggested... Be sure to check the slip yoke for any signs of grooves worn in it, and also for a worn tail shaft bushing that would allow the yoke to wobble.

The photo you posted looks like a slip yoke U-joint with some trans fluid on it. The slip yoke goes into the tail shaft housing trans seal.
Do you have any photos of the slip yoke going into the tail shaft housing? (similar to the photo shown below)

If the tail housing trans seal is leaking, you may also notice that the portion of the floor board directly above the rear trans seal is also wet (due to trans fluid being flung of the slip yoke as you are driving).

To confirm where the trans fluid leak is coming from, clean off all signs of the leaked trans fluid. Be sure to also check the upper side of the trans for any signs of leaked fluid/wetness... as the trans fluid could be coming from the transmission's vent tube and working its way back as you are driving.
Go for a quick drive and reinspect for the source of the leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts