Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, actually I guess when you boil it down, maybe the decision is easy. I've been thinking for awhile about what I want to do in terms of front end suspension/steering upgrades on my 63. At first I "thought" I just wanted to replace the upper/lower A-arms, springs/shocks etc, and then eventually consider getting a rack/pinion kit. But, I've really always kinda wanted a new front clip because I like the idea of the cleaner look in the engine compartment, all new components etc.. I've always felt that they were too far out of my reach.

But, when sitting down and pricing things, it looks like a CPP or TCI kit is in the upper area, say $2800-$3000 and includes pretty much everything I need,to include R+P steering (at least on the CPP kit).

WHen I priced individual components, I see I'd spend over about $12-$1400 for a-arms, springs, bushings etc etc etc depending on who, and then another $12-$1400 for the R+P. Makes it pretty much a no-brainer in my book. Only advantage to individual components is the ability to spread the cost out (do it piecemeal).

The only "yaba" I see is apparently Classic Industries one can get a front end upgrade kit for about $350-$400. I know you get what you pay for, but is there that much difference between a kit from CI and $1000-$1200 for a kit with A-arms etc from either CPP or Church Boys?

At this point, I think I want to save for a complete front clip, but I can see the benefit of buying it piecemeal and be on the road earlier (perhaps).

Am I missing something in my thought process?

Mike

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,867 Posts
Buy American, just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
My 2¢:

Buy a lower-only kit (no springs, no shocks, no r&p) and put it on the car. Enjoy the car while you save up for the clip it is obvious that you really would prefer. When you have the $, install the clip, sell the lower kit.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
X2, what Patman said. I put the CPP lower A-arm kit in, have driven it thousands of miles and never saw a need to put a new front clip in. If you do, you will enjoy the car a lot more while you save the coin. :yes:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm.... I didn't realize there would be that much of a difference with just lower A-arms. I'll have to consider that as a start, and get "the good ones" from either CPP or CBR.

Thanks for the suggestion Patman & Znova.

Mike

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts