Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after my bout with droping the motor and trans in the car. I cant install my shroud and electric fan. the fan will go on by it self. So I just installed the rad, till I figure out how I want to mount the fan.

So last night, I was looking at the header fitment. SO I grab the passenger side header. Wow, looks like there is a bunch of room. NOT, not even close. the header hits the back of the upper control arm. So then I decided to look at the drivers side, looks like I'll have to remove the steering box to get it in. At this point I just said great and called it a night.

I hope I'm not the only one that has these issues.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I found that I had to either lift the car up about 2 feet off the ground, and then I could snake the header in. Or, undoing the motor mount and lifting the motor a few inches might help too.

I've run an electric fan for 3 years on my nova with no shroud at all, and never have heating problems. FWIW

·
Registered
54 Posts
SUPER_NOVA_71 said:
At this point I just said great and called it a night.
lol That made me laugh. Sounds just like me when I run into a problem. Just think after all the cursing and aggravation, you will have a powerhouse :)

Garrett

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gman73 said:
lol That made me laugh. Sounds just like me when I run into a problem. Just think after all the cursing and aggravation, you will have a powerhouse :)

Garrett
LOL!!! Ya, I've been told by one of my buddies that once you start modifing things on the car, it's never ending.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I was having the same issues.

After you get the header problem solved you will have a radiator electric fan issue, then if you have an automatic column shift that will also be a problem. Have you also checked to see if the transmission bolts will go in?

Let me tell you. I know exactly what you are going through. I am just to the end of this saga.

Feel free to pm me and I can help you through it.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Man when I did my install back in 1988 I stepped back and tossed my BBC Chevy in place without a hitch. I guess I was to dumb to know how any difference.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Don't feel bad! Both sides for my headers have dents in them to make them fit! Now with DART heads there's even more issues to deal with like melting spark plug wires and difficulty getting plugs out.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
How much clearance do you have betweenthe firewall and distributer? My is as tight as it gets. I wonder if your frame mounts are in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm hoping to put most of it together with the sub frame off the car. After I get it all together I can see if it bolts up and take care of clearance issues by rolling it back out, fix the clearance prblem, then back in. I'm hoping this makes it easier, but it could be harder since I will have to set it all up as a one man operation. It's a good thing it is a hobby and time is not an issue. (Well I would like to have it done before I'm dead, so I guess I do have some time constraints.:D )

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a bbc in my '69. I have had the motor in and out a few times and now have it mastered. The passenger side header can go in with no hang ups with the motor bolted in. Drivers side need to lay in there while you put the motor in and move it into place as you lower the motor. I also have a 400 turbo and the best way to put that in and out is to leave the motor bolted in, remove the distributor, take out the cross member and lower the back of the trans. You'll have just enough room with a long extension and a swivel socket to get all your bolts. Just a little info that worked for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought putting my headers in my 73 small block was a pain. Now on my 74 I am avoiding it all together, so I got the shorty headers. I thought I would try them out. Hopefully it will go smoothly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FunkyNova66 said:
and people ask me "Why the shorty headers?" lol. I can take mine out with the motor in place. :D:rolleyes:
UP DATE,

I have installed my headers. They went on really easy. When I first looked at it. I had my 1 year old playing in the garage ( in his walker) so I could not put my full attention to the headers. So I gave up. Last weekend, I went out there and they bolted right up. I just had to remove the steering box (manual).
The next challange is to rebuild the steering box.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
and people ask me "Why the shorty headers?" lol. I can take mine out with the motor in place. :D:rolleyes:

and here all along I thought people used shorty headers cause they wanted less HP:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am putting mine on tonight. They should go one pretty easy right? I just got the motor put back in because it needed to be redone. I could have used the longer headers again but on my 73 I would cringe everytime I would be in a low spot in the road a I would look in my mirror and see the sparks fly. BTW how much less HP

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
novachick said:
I am putting mine on tonight. They should go one pretty easy right? I just got the motor put back in because it needed to be redone. I could have used the longer headers again but on my 73 I would cringe everytime I would be in a low spot in the road a I would look in my mirror and see the sparks fly. BTW how much less HP
well that part of the equasion I dont know...for the average Nova owner I'm sure it wont make a bit of difference to their enjoyment of the car...for the average gear head racer it will make a difference.....at least that is what I have always heard;) :)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
My buddy dynoed his 406 with shorty headers compared to his full length headers. He lost a measly 2hp and gained 20 ft pounds of torque.
+ I made up with the full length mandrel bent 3" exhaust.:D

IMO if he gained the torque you said he did then there may have been a problem with the configeration of his full length headers...ie the dia too big/too small, the length wrong, the tubes not equal length, or the collector the wrong dia/length...or any combination of the above...based on the torque increase I would suspect the dia of his full length headers may have been too large for his motor....BUT JMO....:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts