Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im not sure where to post this, so here is my problem. i picked my 62 about a month ago and have issues when i fill the gas tank. every time i fill her up, gas pours all over the fender as it is done filling. ive tried a towel and guessing when its full, but every fill up leads to gas pouring down the side of the car.... any suggestions... the car is primered now but im painting it next month so i want to figure this out before paint...

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I have the same problem...The gas pumps here in California are set up for newer vehicle's I have to hold the pump up against my fricken leg to fill it up....I'm going to have to find a better way too...I'm getting my car back from paint within the hour....good luck..if you figure it out...Let me know...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a little info for you. I remember seeing an item in one of the restoration books years ago that you put over the filler neck of the pump. It looked like a big washer. You would slide this over the filler nozzle on the pump and it would keep the vacuum from the nozzle from sucking the gas back out of the filler neck. I never bought one or tried it but looked like it might work. To fill mine up, I usually have to pull the rubber gasket on the nozzle back away from the filler neck. Thus keeping it from sucking gas back out. Or you can try and find the stations that still use the older nozzles that just have the spring on them.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
There are 2 problems usually associated with the old gas fillers.
1. The vent tube is clogged and it cant let the air out of the tank when your filling up; It builds pressure and the air/fuel burps out of the filler neck.

2. Sometime is the late 70's or 80's(or when ever they did it) they changed the size of the gas nozzles, the filler necks on the older cars are to fat and the stupid pump thinks its spilling every where so it shuts off. It the same hassle when your filling one of the plastic red gas cans. So when you feather the pump trigger to fill it up, the pump is then to smart to shut it self off and it winds up getting overfilled when it would normaly shut it self off.

You would need to either modify a newer filler neck onto your gas tank or as an adapter. Or don't fill it up all the way.

Or just let it leak all over the side of your car and use the squeegee like I do.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I had the same problem. The Unleaded nozzel is smaller than the Filler neck on our Novas.

I moved mine into the trunk. I bought a filler neck from a Chevy Astro Van. This way the smaller nozzel will lock into the newer filler neck. I have no problem filling the car now.

Bryan

·
Registered
42 Posts
my 66 fuel gauge is stuck (on full of all things), so I use my ear, which doesn't work very well. ha. I have only overflowed once, but that is when it was sloshing around, now i just put so much in and take a guess.

sorry, no technical help here. just thought i would share.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
my 66 fuel gauge is stuck (on full of all things), so I use my ear, which doesn't work very well. ha. I have only overflowed once, but that is when it was sloshing around, now i just put so much in and take a guess.

sorry, no technical help here. just thought i would share.
I do the same thing. Use my ear. Especially after having to have the paint fixed twice on it. And don't fill it up when it's cold and put it in a heated garage.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Another thing I've run into with my 66, in hot weather, if you fill it up then let it sit in the sun it will percolate out and run down the quarter panel.
As far as gassing it up, I do it very slowly and "fill by ear" as previously noted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another thing I've run into with my 66, in hot weather, if you fill it up then let it sit in the sun it will percolate out and run down the quarter panel.
As far as gassing it up, I do it very slowly and "fill by ear" as previously noted.
that makes sense to me now. I took it to work one day and one of my buddies said it was leaking gas about mid day in the parking lot, but when i went out there wasn't a drip, but he isn't stupid so i had to believe him. Guess that is what happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts