Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, but I pulled up to the shop to get my car painted...and a guy was there with a beautiful ford fairlane 500....don't remember the ci..but he stated he had over 500 hp in the engine.....I asked him to start it up cause I was interested in putting flow's on my 66...as it turns out..My Summit duel exhaust sounded better......:yes::yes:...I'm glad I didn't invest $180 bucks on them...I'd of been teed

·
Premium Member
7,757 Posts
Flowmaster makes several different model mufflers. They all sound different.

I always liked the way the two-chamber Flowmasters sound. I had them on my roller-cammed 406 at one time and they definitely drew attention at the stop lights.

How good any muffler sounds also depends a lot on the engine too. Every one is different-sounding. For example, a low-compression engine with a mild or relatively mild cam usually will sound like a puppy no matter what muffler you use. Loud exhaust sounds like crap unless you have a radical engine.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just remember - you were listening to those Flowmasters behind a F*rd engine. Blah! I can definitely tell the difference between a Ford and Chevy engine sound waay before I can even see the car. I absolutely love the sound of my 40 Series Flowmasters behind my SBC 406.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have 40 series 2 chamber flowmasters on my 72. My car is all original with the 350. I am running Hooker Competition long tubes with 2.5" x pipe into the flowmasters which my exhaust ends up in dumps just before the pumpkin. I LOVE the way my car sounds! It's nice and quiet when you want it to be, but it'll talk to you when you want it to. I love it because it's not to radical for my stock Nova, but it still has a nice, aggressive tone.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
im getting some 2 chamber 40's as well pretty soon in my stock 350, i love the sound of them i have no problem with them my engines not gonna be stock for long :no:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tend to go both ways. I had flows on my 70 Chevy p/u and loved them, put 50 series 3" in/out on my Chevelle, with 3" mandrel bent exhaust and hated the sound in the top end of the rpm range. It sounded rediculous at idle but ended up sounding like a truck with straight pipes after 3k rpm! But I'm going back to them on my 70 Big block car, 40 series, we should see how it sounds in a week or so!!!

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
yeah IMO flowmasters are wayy over rated

I got a pair of knock off flowmasters and i think they sound BETTER.

the week before i got my exhaust on I heard a 67 chevelle with a built 400 flow masters and 3 inch exhaust behind it and i was not impressed :no:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
yeah IMO flowmasters are wayy over rated

I got a pair of knock off flowmasters and i think they sound BETTER.

the week before i got my exhaust on I heard a 67 chevelle with a built 400 flow masters and 3 inch exhaust behind it and i was not impressed :no:
where did you buy these knock off flowmasters? and how much did they cost? whats the part number?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
where did you buy these knock off flowmasters? and how much did they cost? whats the part number?
I just got a pair for $30 they sound better and dont drone as much either

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Back in the day Flow Master was the only thing out there that was worth a dam, now you have several choices. I always stuck with Flow Master for two reasons.
1. they are made right here in Nor*Cal
2. they flow real well (maybe not the best but real good)
I have them on everything from my CJ 5 my truck and suburban and my nova. I have 3 chamber deltas on my nova and with 13-1 compression these things sound great:yes::yes:

·
Registered
562 Posts
i have used the 40 series 2 chamber "loved them"

i have used the 50 series "didnt love them"

i had the 2 chamber race "they were ok" way to loud for me

i have used the knock off flowmasters several times, i always get the two chambers " love them as well" they are the exact same. flowmaster let there pattent expire so there are a ton of the same muffs for cheaper

i have tried the 2 chamber delta flow and "liked them" they didnt have the throaty sound that the regular flows had but the interior noise was much better

i have used the 3 chamber race on my last 2 cars and 1 truck. "i love these things the best". they sound mean at an idle not as loud as the 40 series, but you get a different pich at high rpm's that is unexplainable

i dont like the sound of any muffler i have ever tried that has packing in them.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got the V-force Pro and everybody said thta they sound just like them for 25.99 each

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
2 chamber 40's those are the ones that made flowmaster #1 years ago, still have mine 16 years and counting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i had 3 inch 40 series flowmasters on my car did some damage to them, went to the exhaust shop to get new ones got a nice shocker they had the thrush welded muffler and the flowmaster cut open in the display room identical on the inside you pay for the name and they sound the same i am happy and saved money

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
They're made by Flo-Pro and they are the V-Force model. I have them on my 12:1 small block with 2.5" and they sound identical to FLowmasters. @ $30 a piece. Check out their website. http://www.flopro.com/VForce.htm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts