Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to try and install my subframe connectors today, after having installed new poly body bushings (which were surprisingly easy). I jack up the car and put it on 4 jack stands. I put the floor jack under the drivers side leaf spring at the axle, and start to remove the 3 spring perch bolts. Low and behold the danged clips break that hold the nuts, or maybe they are like the fender well clip/nuts. I haven't got a way to get a wrench or even vice grips on the broken loose clip so I can remove the bolt. How do I proceed?? Do I cut a square out of the floor board and make it a hinged hatch??

The back end is stock, 8.2" diff and stock mounting locations for the leaf springs and shocks.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Cut or grind the bolt heads off, then replace the special nuts. I got lucky on both my last two that they all came out. You can flood some penetrant oil thru the slots and soak them before you ever put a wrench on them.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
on a '67 Camaro i worked on years ago the same thing happened... with no welder. what i did was using one of those $.99 wrenches i placed it in my vice and bent it accordingly to snake it in the access hole to hold the nut.

it's one all twisted to hell wrench i've had for 30+ years that i've used ONCE...

see if you can snake a (bent up) wrench in there...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can flood some penetrant oil thru the slots and soak them before you ever put a wrench on them.
I thought I did, must not have used enough oil. Another fun thing I just found out, my air compressor just took a dive. Now I have to take it down to Sears and hope they have a replacement. I knew I should have stopped at the body mounts. Lol

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I retract my earlier post, I was wrong, as Flyer said it is a clip and once you cut the bolt heads off they are very easy to replace once the perch is removed. I took a pic from my assy. manual and can email or text it to you. Heres my number 209 985-9179

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Grind off the heads, fish out the rest of it and put new clips in. They are specific type clips. The flat ones will not work.

Much easier than cutting up the floor. If the nut broke loose, you probably are not going to get a wrench that will work. These things rust in place.

Messy but pretty easy to do.

Ray

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I haven't tried to take loose the other side just yet. Had to go exchange my air compressor. And I just ordered 6 of those J-clip nuts. JUST in case. Not gonna like having my car disabled for a few days but nothing I can do about it until I get those clips. :(

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got one of the subframe connectors in. Going to call Classic Industries tomorrow to see if they have any of the clip-nuts. Only an hour drive from the house.

Thanks again for the help guys. I ended up just lopping off the heads of the bolts and pushing them through. The passengers side bolts came out with no problems.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I don't break them loose with an air wrench. I always brake those loose with a ratchet, if it's tight but moving then work it back and forth.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
GLAD YA GOT IT, I WAS PREPARED TO HEAD OVER THERE! :yes:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I ordered the correct clips n longer bolts you will also need, then I found that Lowes Carries exactly what you need in there special hardware section, make sure when you put the new spring clips in you keep the nut end parallel with the frame or the new bolts will pretend to thread only there really just pushing the nut up at an angle then the bolt won't thread and you have to drop the spring perch and the frame connector pull the clip straighten it, put it back ex. When moving two jacks around and pulling and replacing the frame connectors especially when you have a jack that slowly leaks it cam be a real pain. The good thing is its still only minor common sense stuff and you don't need a welder. Infact I like leaving them bolt on cause it makes parts later easier to change. There nice and solid too, big difference. Oh and don't forget to hook back up your emergency bake cable. Have fun.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and don't forget to hook back up your emergency bake cable. Have fun.
HAHA! I broke my e-brake cable YEARS ago. Still haven't installed a new one though :(. Sometimes I think my ogreness is a bit of an annoyance. Yes I know there is no way anyone's legs should be able to break the cables but if I weren't such an ogre then the cable, even damaged, would have lasted longer than it did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts