Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i saw a thread on another site about a nostalgia pro stock class , but i think their rules kinda suck

here is how i think it should be
1970-74 chassis , stock dash and firewall , stock front suspension , rest of chassis unlimited

big block engine limit - 480 cubic inches, 2800 lb car
small block limit - 440 cubes , 2650 lb car

4 speed manual only , 100lb weight penalty for clutchless transmission, no multiplate clutch or centrifigal clutches permitted , stock diameter flywheel only

tunnel ram only, dual 4 barrel only, big block 750 cfm carb x2 , small block unlimited cfm carb , tunnel ram must be cast aluminum , no welding permitted, no split dominators permited

2 step box permitted

iron block only , iron heads

no power adders/ no nitrous

14x 32 tire maximum

what ya think ???

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
My 2 cents:

• remove the clutchless tranny option
  • must have stock front seat location
  • two front seats
  • no fiberglass front ends, hoods, bumpers, trunk lids, etc.
  • must have working head and tail lights
  • 4" hood scoop height limit
  • allow 67 - 74 two door hardtops (Novas, Camaros, Challengers, Darts, Cudas, Mustangs, etc).
  • have a minimum weight requirement
  • only factory front and rear spoilers allowed

I'd love to see it!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My 2 cents:

• remove the clutchless tranny option
  • must have stock front seat location
  • two front seats
  • no fiberglass front ends, hoods, bumpers, trunk lids, etc.
  • must have working head and tail lights
  • 4" hood scoop height limit
  • allow 67 - 74 two door hardtops (Novas, Camaros, Challengers, Darts, Cudas, Mustangs, etc).
  • have a minimum weight requirement
  • only factory front and rear spoilers allowed

I'd love to see it!
Only trouble with that is the Camaro has a major advantage over the Nova with the sub frame (2nd gen) and shorter wheel base (3rd gen). I think that's why they went with the 70-74 models, they're closer over all then most grouped years, for the stock remaining parts.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Only trouble with that is the Camaro has a major advantage over the Nova with the sub frame (2nd gen) and shorter wheel base (3rd gen). I think that's why they went with the 70-74 models, they're closer over all then most grouped years, for the stock remaining parts.
Won't argue with that. But I'd still love to see all of them.:yes:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Yes, but the Nova (3rd gen) has more rear body overhang and the fuel tank is further back from the rear axle, which some say is better for weight transfer. You can't have a Nostalgia Pro Stock without 69 Camaro, Boss Mustangs, and the 69 style Hemi Cuda's and Hemi Dart's.IMO. Other than the 70-74 year only thing I like it. And yes, leave the clutchless transmissions out of it. Do like they did back in the day and run modified syncro and blocker rings (like Pro Shifting it), but they still used a clutch.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i think ur right

Yes, but the Nova (3rd gen) has more rear body overhang and the fuel tank is further back from the rear axle, which some say is better for weight transfer. You can't have a Nostalgia Pro Stock without 69 Camaro, Boss Mustangs, and the 69 style Hemi Cuda's and Hemi Dart's.IMO. Other than the 70-74 year only thing I like it. And yes, leave the clutchless transmissions out of it. Do like they did back in the day and run modified syncro and blocker rings (like Pro Shifting it), but they still used a clutch.
most excellent point ,,sooo,, 69-74 :yes:

a 29.5 x 12.5 slick might be interesting too, leaf springs and traction bars ,,,, but ,, wasn't Grumpy's Vega using a full tube chassis around 73 ???

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I think I'd do more like 67-72 for the years. You could expand to 74, but like you said, now you're talking tube chassis. The 67 Camaro, GT500, Baracuda, Dart, etc. would all have been run in Pro Stock. Imagine the possibilities of cars that you didn't see much. Like a 67 Firebird running a 67 Fairlaine 500, A 69 Camaro against a 69 Cougar, A 71 Duster running a 69 Boss Mustang, but all with a level pplaying field. :yes::yes::D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts